Leyton Orient suffered a third successive defeat after losing 2-1 at home to Hartlepool United in the National League.

Steve Davis’ side opened the scoring after 19 minutes when Jobi McAnuff found the net. But Hartlepool equalised right at the end of the half through Jonathan Franks’ volley.

United took the lead shortly after half-time when Rhys Oates headed home and the hosts could not find an equaliser as their poor run of form continued.

The O’s made three changes from the team beaten by Halifax Town on Tuesday. Matt Harrold was ruled out through injury and David Mooney came into the side. Dan Happe replaced Michael Clark in defence while Josh Koroma was preferred to Romuald Boco.

Orient had an early scare when Happe’s back pass resulted in Charlie Grainger’s clearance smashing off Oates but the ball flew wide of the far post.

Mooney fired in an effort for the hosts but his shot lacked power and was comfortably held by goalkeeper Scott Loach.

The O’s grabbed the breakthrough after Koroma set up Mooney and his shot was parried by Loach. But McAnuff followed up and tucked the ball into the unguarded net for the opener.

Orient almost doubled their lead through Macauley Bonne but his superb half-volley cannoned off the post.

The hosts were looking comfortable but were caught out at the end of the first half when Franks neatly volleyed home from close range.

The O’s were punished again after the break when Nicky Deverdics’ free-kick was headed in off the post by Oates.

It could have got even worse for Orient after Ryan Donaldson’s deflected shot struck Grainger’s post.

But Davis’ side went close to an equaliser when Mooney played in Bonne but the striker’s shot was blocked by Loach.

McAnuff tested the keeper from his curling free-kick but Loach managed to tip the ball over for a corner.

Orient made their first change with talented youngster Sam Dalby introduced in place of Mooney.

Koroma fired the ball into the net after an incisive pass from Dalby but the offside flag denied the O’s from equalising.

Orient made another change with Henry Ochieng brought on for Craig Clay as time started to run out and their final substitution was Boco for Koroma.

There were five minutes of injury time and the O’s went close to an equaliser but Bonne could not guide his header on target as his side lost for the third game in a row.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Caprice, Sendles-White, Happe, Widdowson; McAnuff, Clay (Ochieng, 79), Lawless, Koroma (Boco, 86); Bonne, Mooney (Dalby, 65)

Subs not used: Sargeant, Clark

Hartlepool United: Loach; Magnay, Watson, Ledger, Deverdics; Woods, Featherstone, Hawkins; Donaldson, Oates (Rodney, 72), Franks

Subs not used: Munns, Donnelly, Laing, Newton

Referee: Carl Brook

Attendance: 3,867