Leyton Orient's superb run of form continued after a 2-0 home win over Preston made it five victories in a row.

Orient struck the first significant blow two minutes before the break when Mathieu Baudry marked a rare start by heading home a cross from Dean Cox.

The hosts extended their lead in the second half when in-form striker Kevin Lisbie neatly slotted the ball into the net.

Orient had a number of scares late on but they held out to maintain their excellent form and end Preston's seven-game unbeaten run. 

The O's were forced into one change for the game with ever present captain Nathan Clarke ruled out with an ankle injury. Baudry was brought into the defence as Orient looked to extend their recent winning sequence.

Scott Cuthbert made his return to the bench after being out since August with a hamstring injury. Fulham youngster Alex Smith was also named as a substitute after joining Orient on loan.

Preston created the first decent chance of the game when Lee Holmes released Todd Kane but his strike was saved by goalkeeper Ryan Allsop.

The O's thought they should have had a penalty midway through the half when Cox sent a cross in which the hosts felt had been handled by a Preston player. But referee Andy Davies was unmoved despite the appeals.

Orient had a goal disallowed just before the half hour mark. Ben Chorley flicked on Lee Cook's free-kick but David Mooney's finish was ruled out for offside.

Kane had another opportunity after the ball was laid off by Nicky Wroe but he snatched at his effort and it floated wide of the target.

Mooney should have done better when the ball fell to him outside the area but he blasted his effort well over Steve Simonsen's crossbar.

Russell Slade's side made the breakthrough late on in the first half. Cox sent in a dangerous cross and Baudry produced a superb header which found the corner of the net.

Orient doubled their lead after the restart when the ball fell into the path of Lisbie and the former Charlton forward tucked the ball underneath Simonsen's body for his sixth goal of the season.

Slade could not contain his delight as he punched the air and celebrated the goal in front of the home supporters.

Preston responded after the setback and threatened through Kane but he was twice denied by saves from Allsop.

The hosts made their first change with Anthony Griffith introduced in place of Cook. 

The visitors came agonisingly close to pulling one back in the last ten minutes but substitute Akpo Sodje's header struck the post and rolled across the line.

Preston kept up the pressure and another effort was cleared off the line by Martin Rowlands as the O's somehow survived unscathed. 

It was a dominant spell by North End but they were again left frustrated as Graham Cummins' header was superbly saved by the outstretched arm of Allsop. 

Slade made his second change of the game as he brought on Ryan Brunt for Mooney for the last few minutes.

There were eight minutes of injury time at Brisbane Road but Orient protected their lead and celebrated a fifth consecutive win in all competitions. 

Leyton Orient: Allsop; Sawyer, Chorley, Baudry, Odubajo; Cox, Cook (Griffith, 72), Rowlands, James; Mooney (Brunt, 86), Lisbie

Subs not used: Jones, McSweeney, Cuthbert, Smith, Smith

Preston: Simonsen; Huntington, Robertson, Kane, Buchanan; Wright (Cummins, 58), Wroe, Holmes, Welsh; King (Sodje, 68), Beavon (Elding, 80)

Subs not used: Stuckmann, Cansdell-Sherriff, Amoo, Byrom 

Referee: Andy Davies

Attendance: 4,190