Leyton Orient closed to within three points of the League One play-off spots after a convincing 4-1 win at home to Carlisle United this afternoon.

The O's took the lead after Romain Vincelot headed in his first goal since joining the club and made it 2-0 just before the break when Shaun Batt tapped in his second in the space of five days. 

It got even worse for the visitors when subsitute Charlie MacDonald was brought down by Mark Gillespie and the keeper was sent off. Kevin Lisbie converted the penalty to clinch Orient's third consecutive win.

Matty Robson pulled one back for United but Dean Cox added the fourth late on as Orient continued the momentum which is keeping them in the running for a play-off spot. 

Orient made three changes to the side which defeated Portsmouth on Tuesday night. Lisbie returned in attack with MacDonald on the bench while skipper Nathan Clarke started in defence with Mathieu Baudry out with a hip injury. 

Lloyd James' girlfriend went into labour so his place in midfield went to Martin Rowlands. David Mooney was fit to return to the bench after missing the last three matches with a thigh injury.

Clarke almost gave the hosts an early lead from Lee Cook's corner but his header was saved by visiting keeper Gillespie. 

The O's were looking lively and winger Cox fired in an effort from distance which was held by Gillespie. 

Carlisle's first effort of the game came through Brad Potts' powerful long-range strike which was tipped over the bar by Jamie Jones.

Gillespie got himself in trouble after 13 minutes when he was booked for handling the ball outside his area after coming under pressure from Batt. 

The O's had a big scare when Leon McSweeney headed against his own bar and Robson's strike was cleared off the line by Rowlands. 

Orient opened the scoring after 32 minutes when Cox sent in a superb cross and Vincelot rose to head in his first goal for the club.

The O's had a great chance to double their lead when the ball fell to Moses Odubajo on the edge of the area but the talented teenager blasted his effort over the bar. 

Orient added a second goal just before the break when Cook's cross fell perfectly for Batt to tap the ball home.

Cox had a chance to add a third in the second half but his strike was too close to Gillespie. 

Batt was given a warm ovation as he was replaced by MacDonald and the substitute had an immediate impact after being brought down by Gillespie.

The visiting keeper was shown a second yellow card and Orient killed off ten men United after Lisbie tucked away the penalty for their third goal.

Mooney made his return from injury after replacing Lisbie and the O's could enjoy themselves as they coasted towards the three points. 

Carlisle pulled one back out of the blue when Robson scored from long distance. 

But Orient nearly made it 4-1 when first Mooney hit the post and then MacDonald put the ball in the net only to be denied by the offside flag.

Cook had a late opportunity as his fizzing strike was pushed round the post by stand-in keeper Adam Collin.

The hosts completed a comprehensive win late on when Cox curled home their fourth goal of the match. 

It was another excellent afternoon for the O's and the result keeps them firmly in the running for a top-six place as they extended their unbeaten run to six games. 

Leyton Orient: Jones; McSweeney, Clarke, Cuthbert, Odubajo; Cox, Rowlands, Vincelot, Cook; Lisbie (Mooney, 72), Batt (MacDonald, 67)

Subs not used: Sawyer, Smith, MacDonald, Grainger, Omozusi, Mooney

Carlisle United: Gillespie; Simek, Livesey (Murphy, 29), Robson, Mustoe; O' Hanlon, McGovern (Symington, 59), Thirwell, Potts; Berrett (Collin, 68), Beck

Subs not used: Welsh, Noble, Loy, Cadamarteri

Referee: Simon Hooper

Attendance: 4,387