England full-back Mike Brown broke the appearances record for Harlequins as his side stormed to a first Aviva Premiership victory of the season by outclassing Gloucester.

Brown ran out for the 282nd time as a Quins player in the 28-17 success, breaking the record for the most senior appearances at the club in the professional era, which was held by the club’s defence coach Nick Easter.

Young Marcus Smith grabbed two penalties and two conversions for the hosts, with the game’s opening penalty coming from fly-half Demetri Catrakilis, who went off injured after 13 minutes.

Flanker Dave Ward and wing Charlie Walker got the hosts’ first-half tries, before England wing Marland Yarde went over midway through the second period.

Gloucester, who had beaten reigning champions Exeter a week ago, replied with tries from Freddie Clarke and replacement Jacob Rowan and conversions from Billy Twelvetrees and Billy Burns – the latter also kicked a penalty.

South African-born Catrakilis kicked a 10th-minute penalty before he was carried from the field soon after with what appeared to be a throat injury.

Burns levelled and a niggling, average opening half limped along until a huge thunderstorm brought a deluge of rain to Twickenham Stoop and sparked Quins into life.

Ward grabbed the opening try in the 29th minute when centre Joe Marchant and Catrakilis’ replacement, 18-year-old Smith, linked to give the flanker a run under the posts. Smith converted easily.

And, as the noise of the thunder rocked the stadium, Walker started and finished a brilliant attack through the Gloucester midfield. Smith’s conversion from under the posts gave the hosts a 14-point half-time advantage.

As the thunder passed, Gloucester found another gear and were awarded a series of penalties inside the home 22 after Quins were fortunate not to give away a penalty try when lock Jeremy Thrush kicked the ball too hard into the home try area as centre Jamie Roberts bundled into him.

But Clarke put his side a converted try behind when a move near the Quins line saw him dive over from five metres, with Burns adding the extras.

However, Gloucester started pushing the self-destruct button and Quins were soon away and clear.

Teenager Smith booted two out of three kickable penalties and a cross-kick was tapped down by Yarde to Brown, who gave the pass back to the wing for an unconverted try.

Rowan’s converted try for the visitors came in the final seconds.

What they said

Harlequins director of rugby John Kingston (on Demetri Catrakilis): “He has gone to hospital. He was struggling to breathe on the pitch. The area to breathe properly was not clearing which needed to get oxygen. We needed to get him to hospital. They will probably assess him overnight. It is precautionary but when you get a blockage like that, it is something you have to react quickly to.”Gloucester head coach Johan Ackermann: “It was very disappointing, not the result but the way we played. I don’t want to take anything away from Harlequins but the mistakes we made just made it easy for them. We must have a good look at ourselves. I knew we should not get over-excited about week one. This is a big disappointment but we will put it behind us.”