Staff and customers evacuated a fish and chip shop after a fire broke out in the kitchen. 

Four fire engines and around 21 firefighters from Chingford, Woodford and Enfield were called to Empire Fish Bar in Sewardstone Road, on Friday afternoon (April 17). 

The accidental fire started after a build up of grease in the ducting system caught alight, London Fire Brigade (LFB) confirmed.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Damage to the ventilation system and cooker area 

A spokesman, said: "The chip shop was slightly damaged by the blaze.

"The shop owner tackled the fire himself before crews arrived. 

"Firefighters confined the fire to ducting above a cooker in the kitchen. 

"The cause of the fire was accidental and believed to be a build up of grease within the ducting system.

"Restaurant and take-away owners should always take care to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.

"We would always advise people not to fight fires themselves and instead to get out, stay out and call 999."

Eight people left the shop before fire crews arrived at 5.55pm and there were no reported injuries. 

The fire was under control by 6.40pm. 

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Blaze was started by grease in the ducting sytsem catching alight