A gang who murdered a teenager over a fight in a takeaway have been jailed for life.

Sami Omar and Suleman Mohamed, both of Kingston Road Ilford, and Jordie Kibusi, of Wisteria Close, Ilford, were sentenced today at the Old Bailey after being found guilty of killing Abdifatah Sheikhey at trial last month.

The gang, all 21, shot 19-year-old Mr Sheikhey during an incident on the junction of Bedford Road and Ilford Lane on the evening of March 21 this year.

The trio will each serve a minimum of 30 years for carrying out the murder, which detectives believe was retribution for an altercation in a restaurant.

Police and medics were called to the scene at around 10.10pm, where they found the Poplar teenager suffering from gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen. He died an hour later.

Detectives established before the shooting Mr Sheikhey was sitting in the passenger seat of a black Mercedes saloon when a white BMW 4X4 containing the trio of attackers pulled up alongside.

The court heard how one of the three got out of the car armed with a handgun and with his face covered, shooting the teenager repeatedly while he sat helpless.

Omar, Mohamed and Kibusi then made off in the BMW, which was found abandoned the next day in Goodmayes.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Abdifatah Sheikhey, 19, was fatally shot in Ilford in March this year

CCTV of the incident and the surrounding area before and after the murder was retrieved and officers were able to track the journey of the BMW and identify the suspects.

The BMW had been informally rented by Kibusi, who gave a different first name when he picked up the car.

The vehicle had a tracker device fitted, which showed that the car was stationery at the scene at the time of the murder.

Analysis of Mohamed's phone records also placed him in the area at the time.

Officers believe the attack was carried out as revenge for an incident the previous evening, when Mr Sheikhey and Omar had an armed altercation in a fast food restaurant.

DCI Chris Jones said: "This senseless murder - believed to have been committed in retaliation for a clash between the victim and one of the suspects - has devastated Abdifatah's family.

"These three suspects went out with the sole intention of tracking down Abdifatah and causing him serious harm.

"With a firearm in their possession, this tragic outcome was inevitable. They now face a significant period in jail, and I hope the verdict will allow Abdifatah's family to come to terms with his death."