A fire which broke out in a fast food restaurant and spread to a flat overhead is believed to have been caused by the extraction system on the ground floor.

Four fire engines and 21 firefighters tackled the blaze in The Avenue, Highams Park, in the early hours of Saturday.

A woman in the first floor flat escaped the burning building before crews arrived. Part of the shop and the flat were damaged by the fire which started at around 2.20am and was under control within two hours.

Teams from Walthamstow, Chingford and Woodford stations attended.