An Indian takeaway which was closed after inspectors found mice droppings and cockroach eggs in its “grimy, pest-ridden kitchen” has reopened.

Maamala's in Hoe Street, Walthamstow, was shut in February after mice faeces were found on the lid of a container of rice, which could easily have rolled into the grains.

Food and safety officers also found an intact cockroach egg sack, which could have hatched up to 50 insects, and mice droppings on kitchen shelves and storage spaces.

But after a recent inspection, it was deemed safe and clean enough to reopen.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

The business had no hot water in the kitchen sinks and cooking utensils were found to be ‘encrusted with filth’.

Waltham Forest Council was awarded £624.51 in costs and a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order was imposed by Thames Magistrates' Court on Tuesday February 27.

After a thorough inspection the takeaway was re-opened on Monday March 5.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Cllr Clyde Loakes, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for the Environment, is encouraging customers to check a restaurant’s food hygiene rating before dining there because “food poisoning is just not worth the risk”.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

He said: "It turns my stomach seeing these pictures. How anyone could think it is acceptable to operate a food business from a grimy, pest-ridden kitchen is beyond me.

“The irresponsible owners could have caused unsuspecting customers to become severely ill because of their sheer laziness.

"The council's Food & Safety Officers work tirelessly to keep the public safe from chancers like this.”