The mother of a 13-year-old boy who suffered a fractured eye socket after being beaten up by fellow students says her family is “living in fear” after the violent assault.

The 33-year-old mother of two, who does not wish to be named for fear of reprisals, claims the attack happened just days after she told a group of youths off for smoking and shouting outside her home.

The single mother who moved to Walthamstow in December says her two-bedroom flat has been the target of repeated attacks, the latest which involved a hammer being thrown through the kitchen window.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

The boy, who attends Kelmscott School in Markhouse Road, Walthamstow claims he was set upon by over a dozen youths outside the school at about 3.10pm on Thursday, March 22.

He said: “I felt a lot of pain and I thought they were going to kill me.

“They were kicking and punching me in the head and I was bleeding.

“There were about 15 of them – all boys – and they were looking for a fight.

“I managed to escape with one other boy who was protecting me and we ran to an off-licence. Now I am scared and I won’t go back to school.”

His mother claims she found her son slumped in bed with blood on his face when she arrived home at 4.30pm.

After he told her he was beaten up by a group of students, she brought him to the school where an ambulance and police were called.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

He was rushed into theatre for emergency surgery at Royal London Hospital to treat an orbital floor fracture and have a platinum plate fitted while his mother and eight-year-old brother waited anxiously outside.

His mother said: “I was worried he would be left blind. My other son was by my side and he was distraught and I was in shock. 

“When I found him in bed looking drowsy I was scared and when he told me other children beat him up and I got very angry. We are living in fear of another attack.

“I am happy that he can see but I’m scared he will be left with a disability.”

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

The teenager was discharged from hospital two days after being admitted and more than two weeks after the assault is still suffering from numbness and swelling.

A spokesman for Waltham Forest Council said: “We have been concerned to hear of the problems at this address. This resident is not a council tenant and is renting from a private landlord, we have therefore been giving the family advice and support in line with our statutory obligations.

“The police are aware of the problem and have provided reassurance to the family, whilst Safer Neighbourhood Team patrols in the area have been increased.

“We will continue to work closely with the police and Safer Neighbourhood Team to monitor the situation.”

Kelmscott School and Scotland Yard have been contacted for comment.