Environmental health officers are investigating reports of a suspected case of food poisoning at an Indian restaurant. 

It comes after a man who is said to have dined at Forest Tandoori in Wood Street Walthamstow ended up in hospital suffering from a severe form of food poisoning.

Cllr Clyde Loakes, deputy leader and cabinet member for the environment, said: “Forest Tandoori has not been closed by the council.


“Food safety officers are aware of this complaint and are investigating.

“The safety of diners and consumers in Waltham Forest is a top priority for the council.

“Diners should always check using the Food Standards Agency’s Food Hygiene Ratings online tool before they eat out or order a takeaway so they can enjoy their meal with peace of mind.

“We would also encourage delivery platforms such as Just Eat to display the hygiene ratings for restaurants on their app and website so that customers can make an informed choice.”

The Guardian has reached out to Forest Tandoori for comment.

On its website, the food joint is described as “an authentic Indian restaurant”.

A statement posted online reads: “All of the ingredients we use in our food are 100 per cent fresh and we believe you will really notice the difference when you taste it.

“Our contemporary restaurant provides the perfect setting for you to relax and enjoy some of the fines cuisine that east London has to offer.”

According to the Food Standards Agency, Forest Tandoori was given a hygiene rating of 1 out of 5 after its last inspection in September 2017.