More than 50 protesters were arrested following a demonstration about climate change.

Thousands of people had gathered at five central London locations on Monday, April 15 for the Extinction Rebellion protest.

A total of 52 arrests were made, the majority for public order offences and obstruction of the highway, Scotland Yard said.

On Monday evening the Metropolitan Police imposed conditions on the protesters, restricting them to gathering in the area around Marble Arch.

The condition was imposed under Section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986 and will last for 24 hours, and the Met said there was evidence that "serious disruption was being caused to communities in London".

The arrests total included five people held in the afternoon following reports of a disturbance outside Shell's HQ near Waterloo.

The Met said three males and two females were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and taken to a central London police station.

Despite the police order requiring the protesters go to Marble Arch, at 4am each road off Parliament Square was still blocked.

The demonstrators said no attempt had been made to move them, and that they intended to stay for as long as they could, working in shifts.

One woman said: "Protesters had been here since 9am and we want to stay for a couple of weeks. We'll be leaving at 7am and others will come to take our place."

Four activists have chained and glued themselves underneath a lorry parked on Waterloo Bridge in London, where they slept overnight.

The campaigners stationed themselves under the lorry with blankets and sleeping bags, where they say they will stay for as long as possible.

Blythe Pepino, 34, from Hereford, said: "The purpose is to maintain the disruption on the bridge to bring the Government to the table and talk about the climate crisis.

"I think we'll be taken more seriously over time because we're not planning on going away.

"Legal marches come and go and there's not much action or coverage on it, civil disobedience is the only way to bring urgency."

Ben Moss, 42, from Islington, North London, glued himself to the bars of the lorry at midnight on Tuesday morning.

He said: "We're in an extreme situation, we have to take action, this is my personal action to the moral issue of the climate crisis and ecological collapse.

"I'm doing this because I want the Government to do something.

"I've got a week off work, if more is necessary I can make my excuses, I'm a director of a company, I work at a co-operative, but not everyone can come and do this."

He added: "I want to give this the time necessary, we need action, this will create attention."