Police say a firearm was discharged outside a mosque last night.

Police were called to reports of a man, believed to have a gun, having entered Seven Kings Mosque at approximately 10.45pm on Thursday May 9.

The man was ushered outside by residents and a gunshot was then heard.

Officers, including firearms officers, attended the scene.

Police have confirmed there were no injuries and there was no damage to the building.

Authorities believe the event is linked to an earlier incident in the street near the mosque and evidence collected so far indicates the weapon used was a blank firing handgun.

There have so far been no arrests and the police’s enquiries are continuing.

The incident is not being treated as terrorism-related at this stage.

Authorities say officers are working closely with representatives from the mosque.

Cllr Jas Athwal, Redbridge Council leader, took to Twitter to reassure residents.

He said: “I want to reassure everyone, following the incident at Seven Kings Mosque every action is being taken to ensure safety of all residents at Friday prayers, with raised Police presence today & over the weekend.

“I am in discussions to continue these efforts for as long as necessary.”

The mosque was reportedly on “lockdown” for a number of hours last night as the event unfolded.

Cllr Sadiq Kothia, of Fullwell ward, was at the mosque at the time of the shooting.

At around 3am on Friday May 10, he tweeted: “Finally arrived home after the firearm incident at Seven Kings mosque last night.

“We live in worrying times. Thanks to the Police for their swift and reassuring response.”

Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, also tweeted about the incident.

He said: “I am in close contact with the Metropolitan Police Commissioner about this incident at Seven Kings Mosque, and relieved to hear that nobody was injured.

“Everyone should be free to practice their faith free from danger and fear. An increased police presence remains on the scene.”

Wes Streeting, MP for Ilford North, reacted to the news, as did Mike Gapes, MP for Ilford South, where the mosque lies.

Mr Streeting said: “I am aware of the reports of a man with a firearm at Seven Kings Mosque during prayers tonight and am relieved that no one appears to have been hurt or injured.

“Thank you to the Metropolitan Police for a swift response. I will in touch with Police in the morning regarding mosque security.”

Mr Gapes added: “I am relieved that no one was hurt in the shooting incident outside a mosque in Seven Kings in my constituency last night.

“Everyone should be able to pray and worship without fear. I encourage anyone with any information to contact the Police on 101.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Trident Specialist Crime on 101 quoting reference 8585/9May, Tweet @MetCC or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.