Rat and mouse infestations and the lack of a hot water supply were among the discoveries made by food safety inspectors this month.

Waltham Forest food safety inspectors closed the China House takeaway, in High Road, Leyton, on June 19 when they found rats and flies infesting the premises and very poor standards of cleaning and repair.

They also found food being stored outside of temperature control, which could have led to it becoming spoiled.

The council was awarded costs of £748 at Thames Magistrates Court on June 29.

When officers visited Master Halal Meat, in High Street, Walthamstow, on June 11 they found a mouse infestation close to where meat was being prepared for sale.

They immediately closed the business, and their decision was confirmed at hearing at Thames Magistrates Court on June 18, where costs of £1,054.57 were awarded to the council.

The Hallz Delight Nature Hut, in Wood Street, Walthamstow, was closed after a routine visit on June 4 revealed the business did not have a hot water supply.

The inspection also found the kitchen was open to the outdoors, risking food contamination of food.

Thames Magistrates Court granted a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order (HEPO) on June 14 and awarded the council costs of £835.

Cllr Clyde Loakes, deputy leader and cabinet member for the environment, said: “We take food safety very seriously. We want residents and visitors to our borough to be confident that when they pick somewhere to enjoy a meal, the food they are served is safe and has been properly prepared.

“If you operate a food business, your livelihood and reputation rests on keeping your kitchen hygienic and your premises well maintained. The majority of businesses are responsible and diligent when it comes to customer safety.

"For the small minority who are not, the message is clear: our team will not hesitate to act if you are endangering the health of consumers. It’s simply not worth the risk of cutting corners – we will find out.”