Most of us hope we will never have to experience a crash and most of us probably have never had to experience one.

So when it does happen, we may not know what to do in such an unfamiliar situation.

Many people may not realise drivers who crash on the road must follow strict legal requirements to make sure the incident can be accurately reported and dealt with.

LeaseVan, a vehicle hire company, has shared its advice for drivers who are involved in a crash to avoid adding legal trouble to potential injury.

What should I do after being involved in a crash?

Immediately ensure the safety of all road users has been secured and emergency services have been called.

If there is damage or injury to another person, vehicle, animal or any property, you must stop as obligation of Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. You must report an accident and provide necessary information or documents.

What information should I get or give?

You should get the name and address of the driver and the registered vehicle owner – which must be given to anyone else who needs it, such as those involved in the incident, police or ambulance crews.

The details must be given immediately at the time of the crash or handed to the police within 24 hours.

Ensure any relevant parties have noted down the correct registration number of the vehicle.

A valid insurance certificate must also be given to anyone who requires it, e.g. a police officer or an injured road user.

What if I can’t produce the documents at the incident?

If you are not in possession of their insurance documents at the time of the crash which caused injury it must be reported to the police within 24 hours.

Drivers have up to seven days from a significant crash occurring to send their insurance certificate to the police.

Make any notices about the causes, timeline and consequences of a crash while it is still fresh in your memory. Take photographs if you can.