The police officer who was injured by a machete has been named, as the man accused of trying to kill him appeared in court.

PC Stuart Outten, 28, was attacked after trying to stop a van suspected of having no insurance.

PC Outten, who has around a decade of police experience, managed to taser his attacker despite being slashed in the head and hand.

He was treated by colleagues and paramedics in Leyton High Road before being taken to hospital, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

The attack happened shortly after midnight on Thursday (August 8) at the junction between Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, Leyton. 

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

The family have now released a statement, saying: "We have been overwhelmed by the amount of support we have received from the public, Stuart’s colleagues and the wider policing family.

"We are incredibly proud of the bravery Stuart showed during the incident.

"His injuries could have been fatal and we are thankful that he is stable and recovering in hospital with his loved ones around him.

"Stuart joined the Met straight from school and loves being a police officer and protecting the public. Although there are risks associated with his job, we would never have expected something like this to happen.

"We are so grateful to the London Ambulance Service paramedics and hospital staff for their care and compassion.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

"We have been made aware of images circulating that show Stuart’s injuries and him recovering in hospital.

"We would kindly ask the media and the public not to publish these images at what is already an extremely distressing time for us as a family. We would also ask the media to please respect our privacy at this difficult time."

Muhammad Rodwan, from Luton, who is accused of attacking PC Outten, appeared at Thames Magistrates' Court today (Friday, August 9).

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Muhammad Rodwan at Thames Magistrates' Court. Photo: Elizabeth Cook/PA Wire

He was wearing a grey prison-issue tracksuit, and was brought into the dock with handcuffs.

He confirmed his name, date of birth, that he has no address, and that his nationality is British.

Rodwan showed no emotion as he sat staring straight ahead during the brief hearing, which lasted around four minutes.

District Crown prosecutor Varinder Hayre said he is accused of carrying out a "completely unprovoked, repeated and brutal attack with a machete on a police officer who was simply conducting his police officer duties on that day".

There was no application for bail and Deputy District Judge Adrian Turner remanded Rodwan in custody until his next appearance at the Old Bailey on September 6.