A towel left against a switched-on lightbulb is believed to have caused a house fire in Woodford Green.

Three people and two dogs escaped the home in Woodland Way, Woodford Green, before fire crews arrived at about 4.45pm on Thursday, January 16.

London Fire Brigade believe the fire was caused by a towel draped over a lightbulb.

Most of the roof was damaged by the blaze. There were no reports of any injuries.

A Brigade spokesperson said: “All lightbulbs generate heat at various temperatures so it is very important to keep combustible items as far away from light sources as possible to prevent any fires from starting.”

The fire was reported under control by 5.44pm.

Fire crews from Woodford, Chingford, Walthamstow fire stations and a crew from Essex Fire and Rescue Service attended the incident.