An unattended candle is believed to have caused a fire at an Ilford restaurant in the early hours of the morning.

London Fire Brigade was called to the restaurant in Green Lane, Ilford, at about 1.15am today (Wednesday, February 12).

Part of the restaurant was damaged by the blaze.

Around 20 people left first and second floor flats above the restaurant before the brigade arrived.

There were no reports of any injuries.

The brigade’s Fire Investigation team believe the fire was caused by an unattended candle on a windowsill, which caught light to a wooden blind.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “It is very important to keep candles away from materials that might catch fire like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.

“Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before going to bed.

“We strongly recommend replacing wax candles with flameless candles as they are safer to use.”

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @ELondonGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Waltham Forest and Redbridge.