Fire crews battled for almost two hours to subdue a shop blaze believed to be caused by rats chewing on electrical cables.

The fire in a shop in Goodmayes Road, Redbridge, threatened several offices and work spaces above the shop.

London Fire Brigade was called to the fire at 7.50pm on Friday, February 21. Four of the service's fire engines and around 25 firefighters attended the scene.

A small part of a loft void on the first floor was damaged by fire. There were no reports of any injuries at the scene.

Firefighters from Ilford, Dagenham and Hainault fire stations had the blaze under control by 9.31pm.

The fire is believed to have been caused by rats chewing on electrical cables.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @ELondonGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Waltham Forest and Redbridge.