An unsafely disposed of cigarette is believed to have been the cause of a fire at a shop with flats above on High Road in Leyton.

Firefighters are urging smokers to dispose of cigarettes carefully following the blaze.

Part of the ground floor of a vacant shop and part of the first floor were damaged by fire. Around three tonnes of mixed refuse at the rear of the property was alight. There were no reports of any injuries.

The Brigade's 999 Control Officers took nine calls to the blaze.

Fire Investigators believe the fire was caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fires caused by smoking materials including cigarettes, roll-ups, cigars and pipes, result in more deaths than any other type of fire. Stub cigarettes out properly and always dispose of them carefully.

“Make sure smoking materials are cold before emptying ashtrays. Preferably wet stubs before throwing them into a bin.”

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @ELondonGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Waltham Forest and Redbridge.