Unattended cooking started a flat fire in Chingford over the weekend.

Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a fire at a flat above a shop on Hale End Road on Saturday afternoon.

Half of a two roomed flat on the first floor of a three-storey building was damaged by fire. There were no reports of any injuries.

The Brigade’s Fire Investigators believe the fire was caused by unattended cooking.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Thankfully nobody was hurt on this occasion.

"Cooking should never be left unattended on the hob or grill - if you have to leave the kitchen then turn off the heat.”

The Brigade was called at 5.24pm and the fire was under control by 6.09pm.

Fire crews from Chingford, Woodford, Walthamstow and Leytonstone fire stations were at the scene.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

For more breaking news, local headlines and features, ‘like’ our Facebook page.

We also have a Twitter account: @ELondonGuardian

Follow us to keep up-to-date with news in Waltham Forest and Redbridge.