A teenager who squirted acid in the face of a boy he was attempting to rob in a park has been jailed for eight years.

Linden Crick, 17, of Woodford Avenue, Ilford, was sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday January 20 having been found guilty of section 18 GBH with intent, possession of an offensive weapon, possession of a bladed article and six counts of attempted robbery

The judge removed an order which previously prevented Crick from being named because of his age.

The court heard how the suspect had entered Plashet Park in Newham at around 5pm on Tuesday February 2 2021 in the company of an unknown male.

Crick, who was on an e-scooter, approached a group of seven males and began talking to them before demanding their phones.

The Metropolitan Police say he intimated he was in possession of acid, showing the group a drinks bottle. Some of the group ran off, before the suspect ordered the remaining males to leave the park.

In a matter of seconds, the suspect approached a 17-year-old male who was exercising in the park. The suspect demanded his phone before squirting an acidic substance in his victim’s face.

Crick left the park on the e-scooter, passing one of the original group of males who was now on the phone to police.

Officers and London Ambulance Service attended and the victim was taken to hospital for treatment to burn injuries caused by the acidic substance.

A bottle was recovered from the park which revealed the substance inside was sulphuric acid.

Crick was arrested by police on April 22 and following a trial, found guilty of numerous offences on October 7.

Following his sentencing, Detective Sergeant Keith Faris, who investigated the attack with Detective Constable Raf Patel, said: "This was a shocking and needless attack which has left a young man with life changing injuries.

"The suspect entered the park that day with the express intent of intimidating and threatening others; when the victim refused the demand to hand over his phone he subjected to a horrendous and cowardly assault.

"While the victim continues to recover, he will have to live with his injuries for the rest of his life. I can only hope that this conviction brings some sense of justice to him."

A second suspect who was with the defendant at the time of the incident remains outstanding. Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting CAD 6763/02Feb.