A view of West Essex Golf Club on Bury Road in the early 1920s.

Founded in 1900 by some far-sighted businessmen, the 80 acres of farmland was leased for £140 per annum and the first clubhouse built in 1902 as seen above.

Despite early financial woes, after the Second World War the club expanded and a new clubhouse was built in 1989.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Today only the cottage remains.

Follow Gary Stone on Twitter @chingfordhist