THE family of a dad-of-one who was mysteriously gunned down in a playing field have made an emotional appeal for information on the first anniversary of his murder.

Errol McKenzie, 37, was found dead on a patch of land by Seymour Road, Leyton, in the early hours of April 11 last year.

It is not known why he was targeted and police have described him as a completely innocent man.

Despite a £20,000 reward for information no-one has been arrested but his family believe someone in the community holds the key to bringing his killer to justice.

Daughter Nicole Bent, 18, said: “If anyone knows anything please just tell us the information – don't hold back.”

Mr McKenzie was last seen alive on CCTV buying two drinks at a convenience store in Lea Bridge Road, close to his home at 11.15pm on Saturday April 10.

He lived in a quite residential street nearby with his parents but his family have been puzzled why he took a slight detour to the playing fields.

Errol's grieving mother Genetha McKenzie said: “He was a happy and friendly person, always wanted to help other people.

“Sometimes I still can't believe that he died. Everyday I feel it pressing down on my shoulders, it's very stressful. We want him to rest in peace and we want to as well. We just want to know what happened.”

Struggling to hold back his tears, Errol's father George McKenzie recalled the moment he found out about his son's death.

“Two men and a woman turned up at the house and said they were from the police. I asked what it was about and they said we'd better go inside.

“I thought there might have been an accident or something but when they told me it was a real shock.”

Errol grew in Leyton and was a former pupil at George Mitchell secondary school.

He had worked for British Rail but was hoping to set up his own estate agent business at the time of his death, and was popular and well-known in the area.

Police are keeping an open mind about a possible motive and last week released CCTV footage of two men on bicycles who they want to question.

But many things about Errol's last day remain a mystery – included where he was in the morning and afternoon before his death.

Brother Manu Kemet said: “It's very important that we find out where he was that day before he went to the shop as well as what happened afterwards.

“If anyone knows anything at all, no matter how small, please come forward.”

Anyone with information is urged to call the police incident room on 020 8733 4704 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Click here to follow the Waltham Forest Guardian on Twitter