Video footage shows the moment serial rapist Joseph McCann was finally cornered and caught.

McCann hid up a tree after fleeing when the taxi he was travelling in was stopped at a police roadblock.

A jury today unanimously found the 34-year-old, from Aylesbury, guilty of 37 crimes against 11 victims aged between 11 and 71.

His attacks began when he kidnapped and raped a 21-year-old woman as she walked home from Pryzm nightclub in Watford on April 21.

Despite police attempts to locate him, he kidnapped a 25-year-old woman in Walthamstow and a 21-year-old in Edware on April 25.

Joseph McCann

He raped and sexually assaulted them both before they escaped after hitting him on the head with a bottle of vodka in Osborne Road, Watford.

It later emerged he had tried to book in to nearby Phoenix Lodge hotel in St Albans Road.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Forensic police at Phoenix Lodge, in St Albans Road, Watford, where McCann had attempted to check in.

But he remained at large and on May 5 it emerged he had raped and sexually assaulted two children aged 11 and 17 after meeting their mother in a bar.

He raped a 71-year-old woman in Ramsbottom, Lancashire, after forcing her to drive him to an industrial estate in her own car.

He then kidnapped a 13-year-old girl in Heywood, and sexually assaulted her while the elderly woman was still in the car.

Both victims escaped at a service station in Knutsford and called police, but just over half an hour later he had driven to Congleton, Cheshire, where he kidnapped two 14-year-old girls.

A police officer spotted the car at a roundabout 20 minutes later and gave chase, but McCann fled after colliding with another vehicle and escaped from officers.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Police footage of the stolen Fiat driven by McCann

Road blocks were set up around Congleton. At 8.38pm, a police officer stopped a taxi after seeing a man matching McCann's description in the back seat.

McCann fled on foot across fields, but a police helicopter located him just over an hour later, hiding up a tree.

Following a five-hour stand-off with police negotiators, he finally came down and was arrested by Cheshire police on Monday, May 6 at 2.36am.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

The video shows an officer with a head torch and a high-visibility vest up the tree before McCann appears climbing down the tree, apparently attached to a climbing harness.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

He takes the final steps down on a stepladder, and appears to be seeking reassurance from officers.

East London and West Essex Guardian Series:

Wearing a red T-shirt, track suit bottoms and trainers, he is wrapped in a blanket and appears exhausted as he is spoken to by officers.

McCann is due to be sentenced at the Old Bailey on Monday.