Waltham Forest built on their surprise defeat of Takeley last time out with a comprehensive 4-1 defeat of Tower Hamlets in the Essex Senior League Premier Division.

Keen to carry on the momentum created by a run of positive recent weeks, Saturday's match saw Forest take the game to their opponents from the outset.

Mo Sagaf led the way with a brace as Forest put on a display of fine finishing which proved too much for Tower Hamlets to contend with.

His double was added to by efforts from Joe Creasey and Nikko Stokes as Forest eased to their fourth win in their last five league outings.

The result takes the Kitchener Road club up to 13th in the table while Hamlets remain seventh after the loss.

At the time of going to press, Forest were preparing for their Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy quarter-final clash with Ilford last night.

They follow that game with a return to league action with the visit of Sawbridgeworth Town on Saturday.

At the top of the table, Redbridge, who were not in action, saw their lead cut as FC Romania eased to a comprehensive 5-0 win over Woodford Town.

The victory leaves Romania just four points behind the Premier Division pace setter with 20 games played.

Redbridge's schedule doesn't see them back in league action until Tuesday when they will hope to keep the chasing pack at arm's length with a victory over Great Wakering Rovers.

It will be no easy task as Rovers retain an interest in the title conversation and sit six points off the top of the table with a game in hand on Redbridge.

Wadham Lodge didn't play over the weekend but will look to take a positive result from their meeting with Enfield 1893 on Saturday.

The two sides are evenly matched and Lodge go into the away game a point and a place above their rivals in 14th position.

They will be eager to take all three points from the match considering Enfield come into the encounter having played three games fewer and with a superior goal difference.

West Essex were indebted to a late goal as they came from behind to record a 2-1 win over Barkingside with a strike in the third minute of added time.

Barkingside were ahead with five minutes of the first half remaining when Jerome Martelli found the net.

They looked set to take the lead into the break, but Essex had other ideas and Michael Mignot marked his return to the first team with a leveller on the stroke of the break.

Both sides pushed hard for a winner, but the game looked destined to end in stalemate before Tom Macleod intervened with moments to spare.

He rose highest to head in Joe Lefley's free-kick and for a win which takes Essex up to ninth in the table.

They will hope to build on the win against Burnham Ramblers on Saturday.

Ramblers head into that game on the back of a 1-1 draw against Ilford which saw them lose a one-goal advantage.

Karl Swanborough was on target in the seventh minute to give the visiting Burnham the lead before James Peagram levelled shortly ahead of half-time.

Ilford face strugglers Stansted, who are just three points off the bottom of the table, in their next league game.