Leyton Orient are through to the third round of the FA Trophy after a superb Josh Koroma strike saw them win a hard-fought tie at Bognor Regis Town 2-1 after extra-time.

In a game which saw both sides finish with 10 men, Macauley Bonne’s goal with eight minutes remaining looked to have sent the O’s through, only for the hosts to equalise late on through Jimmy Muitt.

But a fine 25-yard curler from substitute Koroma ensured Justin Edinburgh’s men negotiated a tricky hurdle and are a step closer to a possible Wembley appearance.

Edinburgh made a number of changes for the tie, as the fit-again George Elokobi made his first appearance since late September and partnered Bondz N’Gala at the back, while new loan recruits Ebou Adams and Lamar Reynolds both made their first starts for the E10 outfit.

A goalless opening period saw Dean Brill forced into a fine early save to tip over Ibra Sekajji’s half-volley, while at the other end Bonne had a handful of half-chances.

But the visitors’ best chance of taking the lead in the opening 45 minutes came from a counter-attack which saw Jobi McAnuff play in Jake Caprice and his delivery found Reynolds at the back post, but he couldn’t keep his volley down.

Sekajji and Bonne were both off target as both sides started quickly after the restart, before the O’s striker saw a curling effort palmed away.

Edinburgh’s men then found themselves with the numerical advantage when Richard Gilot was sent off for a second yellow card after bringing down Caprice; Matt Harrold almost capitalising soon after when the Bognor keeper saved at the second attempt.

The O’s were also to be reduced to 10 men when Joe Widdowson saw red for a second caution, but they didn’t suffer an adverse reaction and took the lead when Bonne headed home from close range.

However, the O’s were unable to see out the remainder of the 90 minutes and their opponents took the game to extra-time when Muitt fired into the top corner.

Orient almost regained the advantage when Caprice hit the post, but what was to prove the decisive goal arrived in the last minute of the first additional period when Koroma curled him in superb fashion after fellow substitute Dan Happe’s header had been cleared off the line.

Bonne, Koroma and Reynolds all had chances to add a third in the second period as the visitors were able to secure their passage into the draw for the next round.

Leyton Orient: Brill, Caprice, Widdowson, Elokobi (Happe 60’), N’Gala, Adams (Koroma 72’), Clay, McAnuff, Reynolds, Harrold (Judd 85’), Bonne. Subs not used: Grainger, Mooney.