Waltham Abbey’s torrid run of form in the Bostik League North Division continued on Saturday, as they were comfortably beaten 3-0 by Canvey Island, extending their winless run to seven games.

Frankie Merrifield’s close range effort put fourth place Canvey Island in front in the 29th minute, and they doubled their advantage shortly after half time thanks to Martin Touhy, who slotted the ball home after being released by George Sykes’ flick on.

Five minutes from time and it was 3-0 to Canvey Island after a moment to forget from Abbey goalkeeper Hugo Rossetti, who inadvertently punched George Williams’ corner into his own net.

The result means Waltham Abbey have now won just one of their 15 matches in 2018, leaving them in 18th place in the table.

Elsewhere, the weather conditions meant that Wadham Lodge, Ilford and Redbridge’s fixtures were all postponed due to waterlogged pitches in the Essex Senior League.

It was a better week for Waltham Forest, who finally recorded their first win under player-manager Ryan Maxwell at the eighth time of asking, as they secured a comfortable 3-0 victory over high flying Basildon United last night.

The Essex Senior League side got off to the best possible start as they took the lead inside three minutes, when Josh Brimacombe-Ward took a touch and fired the ball home from close range.

Moments later and Forest doubled their lead as Harry Morgan was released in behind and his effort looped over the Basildon goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Soon after and it was three, as debutant Shomari Barnwell’s cut-back was calmly dispatched by Christian Owusu for his sixth goal in seven games.

It was almost four when Morgan’s lobbed effort was saved, but Forest ran out comfortable winners to secure a crucial three points, giving them a much needed confidence boost ahead of Saturday’s game against division leaders Redbridge

There was to be disappointment for West Essex last Tuesday, as they were beaten 4-2 by Southend Manor at home.

Late goals from West Essex’s Josh Kane and Michael Mignot proved to be just a consolation, after strikes from Brennon Nolan, Lee Delf and a double from Mohamed Kargbo had put the visitors 4-0 up by the 70 minute mark.