Waltham Abbey couldn’t build on their morale boosting win against Tilbury in the Bostik League North Division, as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at home to Soham Town Rangers.

After a goalless opening 45 minutes, second half goals from Sam Mulready and Craig Gillies handed Soham Town Rangers a commanding 2-0 lead which they wouldn’t let slip.

It could have been even worse for Waltham Abbey, but goalkeeper Anthony Page saved an 89th minute penalty from goal-scorer Mulready and within a minute, Mitch Hahn had pulled one back for Paul Joynes’ men.

But that proved to be nothing more than a consolation and after picking up a point against Brentwood Town in mid-week, Abbey remain in 17th place in the table.

Elsewhere, in the Essex Senior League, Waltham Forest FC’s upturn in fortunes under player-manager Ryan Maxwell continued as they drew 2-2 with Southend Manor.

Maxwell’s men got off to a slow start though, as they fell behind early in the first half after Lee Delf was allowed to rise unchallenged to nod Southend in front.

Forest’s Chris Lecointe and Tony Da Silva forced Klinton Makayabo into action as the first half drew to a close and the Essex Senior League side would get back on level terms inside ten minutes of the restart, as Shamori Barnwell coolly converted from the spot after Gus Douglas was pushed over inside the area.

Having survived a scare after Southend hit the post from a goalmouth scramble, Forest would take the lead for the first time with ten minutes to play as Da Silva latched on to Harry Morgan’s through ball to fire home.

But having scored a 90th minute winner last week, Forest were to get a taste of their own medicine against Southend Manor, who scored a last gasp equaliser after Tyler Fowles made the most of a poor clearance to secure the visitors a point.

The result leaves Forest two points clear of the drop zone in 17th place.

Meanwhile, it wasn’t such a good weekend for Wadham Lodge as they were thrashed 4-1 by leaders Great Wakering Rovers to leave them four points from safety in 20th place.

That result meant Redbridge lost further ground on the Essex Senior League leaders, as they were held to a frustrating 1-1 draw by Enfield 1893.

Having picked up a just a single point in their last two games, Redbridge got off to the worst possible start as Enfield opened the scoring through Andre Spencer in the 34th minute.

Jonathon Mbamarah came close for Redbridge, who equalised in the second half after Philip Browne Bamfpoe bundled the ball over the line from a free-kick.

Daniel Gilchrist then spurned a late opportunity for Redbridge, meaning the Motormen remain in second.

Lastly, West Essex picked up a point on the road thanks to a 2-2 draw against Stansted FC.

In a frantic second half, Stansted would take the lead twice, but those efforts were cancelled out on both occasions thanks to strikes from West Essex’s Tom MacLeod and Michael Mignot, leaving them in seventh place in the league.

West Essex are back in action on Saturday, when they take on Wadham Lodge on the Essex Senior League’s dedicated Kick It Out Day, which aims to raise awareness about racism in football.