Leyton Orient paid the price for a poor start as they lost 3-2 to ten-man Stevenage in their dramatic Johnstone's Paint Trophy clash this evening.

Orient got off to a shocking start as goals from Francois Zoko and Lucas Akins fired Stevenage 2-0 up. David Mooney gave the O's hope but the hosts quickly added another goal through a Filipe Morais penalty. 

Stevenage suffered a setback when Roarie Deacon was dismissed for bringing down Shaun Batt when he was through on goal. Russell Slade's side took advantage to make it 3-2 in an enthralling first half when Lloyd James converted a late penalty. 

Orient had 45 minutes to find an equaliser but Stevenage set up defensively and managed to frustrate Slade's side as their hopes of a trip to Wembley in the competition came to an end.

The O's made six changes from the side which beat Southport in the FA Cup on Saturday. Jamie Jones returned behind a defence including Moses Odubajo. Dean Cox and James returned to the midfield along with Marvin Bartley while Jayden Stockley started in attack.

Orient also brought new signing Robbie Simpson onto the bench, along with Kevin Lisbie, following his arrival on a two-month contract yesterday. 

The visitors got off to a dreadful start after they conceded in the third minute of the tie. Luke Freeman sent in a cross and Zoko managed to loop the ball into the net.

Orient hit back and had their first effort on goal but Batt's strike flew over the crossbar.

But the hosts doubled their lead after 12 minutes when Akins headed Morais' cross past Jones.

The O's responded quickly and gave themselves hope two minutes later when Stockley nodded the ball on and Mooney sent a half-volley past Chris Day.

However the visitors did not have any chance to celebrate the goal because Stevenage immediately won a penalty when Elliot Omozusi handled the ball in the area. Morais stepped up and fired into the corner of the net to make it 3-1 to the hosts. 

Orient reshuffled the defence after conceding the third with Omozusi switching to centre-back and Gary Sawyer moving to left-back. 

Stevenage were reduced to ten men in the 38th minute when Deacon tripped Batt when the forward was racing through towards the goal. 

The hosts conceded a penalty just before the break when Bartley was fouled and James fired the ball into the net to give Orient real momentum heading into the second half.

Orient went close to equalising after 55 minutes when Cox sent in a cross but Mooney's header was pushed round the post by Day. 

Odubajo got caught in defence and the ball eventually fell to Michael Doughty but he blasted wide of the target. 

The visitors went close again on the hour mark through Bartley's volley but Day managed to turn the ball round the post. 

Slade decided to introduce striker Lisbie with just over 20 minutes remaining in place of goalscorer Mooney. The O's also brought on Yohann Lasimant for Batt. 

Simpson was handed his debut as a substitute when he was introduced for Stockley with just over ten minutes left.

The O's struggled during the closing minutes to break down Stevenage despite dominating possession.

It was a frustrating second half for Slade's side as they bowed out of the JPT but attentions will quickly turn to maintaining their lead in League One this weekend at home to Preston. 

Stevenage: Day; Smith, Hartley, Jones, Deacon; Morais, Heslop, Doughty, Freeman (Wedgbury, 63); Zoko (Burrow, 90), Akins

Subs not used: Arnold, Andrade, Tansey

Leyton Orient: Jones; Omozusi, Cuthbert, Sawyer, Odubajo; Cox, James, Bartley, Batt (Lasimant, 71); Mooney (Lisbie, 69), Stockley (Simpson, 79)

Subs not used: Larkins, Vanderhyde

Referee: James Adcock