Leyton Orient picked up their first win during Kevin Nugent's latest caretaker tenure after a 2-0 win at Dagenham & Redbridge in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. 

The visitors grabbed the opening goal after just five minutes when Jay Simpson netted his first goal for Orient. Nugent's side dominated the contest but had to wait until midway through the second half when a confident Simpson smashed in his second of the tie. 

The O's named a strong side for the trip to Dagenham following a run of three consecutive defeats. Darius Henderson returned to lead the attack following his goal against Swindon on Saturday with Chris Dagnall not involved.

Shaun Batt was handed a rare start for the visitors with brother Damian Batt lining up for the opponents. Romain Vincelot continued in midfield as he faced his former club.

Orient got off to a fast start as they opened the scoring in the fifth minute. Batt released Simpson and the forward kept his composure to slot the ball into the net in front of the away supporters. 

It was very nearly 2-0 shortly afterwards when Simpson thumped a fierce long-range strike against the post.

The hosts threatened from Billy Bingham's free-kick which Gary Woods failed to deal with convincingly as he palmed the ball over the bar. 

Orient were forced into an early change after Mathieu Baudry picked up an injury and was replaced by defender Shane Lowry. 

The O's went close again when Simpson sent in a dangerous cross but Henderson's diving header went inches past the far post. 

Orient continued to dominate the contest and Henderson flicked an effort towards goal from Vincelot's delivery but it was straight into Liam O'Brien's arms.

The visitors kept pushing for a second but Simpson's header struck the post and Henderson's follow up effort was blocked by the keeper. 

Dagenham had their best spell of the game towards the break and were only denied a goal for Scott Doe by a clearance off the line by Bradley Pritchard. 

Simpson had another late chance in the half but he headed Batt's cross over the bar. 

Dagenham should have levelled the tie after the restart when Ade Yusuff raced clear on a counter-attack but the striker blasted his shot over Woods' bar. 

The O's had an opportunity from a free-kick outside the area but Lowry's strike floated narrowly over the home crossbar.

Orient made their second substitution when Dean Cox was introduced in place of Batt.

The visitors doubled their lead in the 69th minute when the ball fell to Simpson in the box and he smashed his strike into the net.

Orient made their final change with ten minutes remaining when youngster Harry Lee replaced Pritchard. 

The O's had few problems easing to victory in the closing stages as they extended their unbeaten away record this season and booked a place in the third round of the competition. 

Dagenham & Redbridge: O'Brien; Partridge, Doe, Saah, Batt; Labadie, Bingham (Porter, 76), Ogogo (Raymond, 88), Chambers; Doidge, Yusuff (Goldberg 66)

Subs not used: Cousins, Gayle

Leyton Orient: Woods; Omozusi, Clarke, Baudry (Lowry, 24), Cuthbert; Pritchard (Lee, 79), Vincelot, Bartley, Batt (Cox, 68); Simpson, Henderson

Subs not used: Grainger, Kashket

Referee: J Linington

Attendance: 2,318 (982 Orient fans)