Ten-man Leyton Orient held out for a 1-1 draw at home to AFC Wimbledon this afternoon.

Orient made a fast start and opened the scoring after ten minutes when Jay Simpson netted his 15th goal of the season.

But Ian Hendon’s side were reduced to ten men after John Marquis received a second yellow card after the break.

The visitors levelled the game in the 80th minute through Adebayo Akinfenwa’s header but could not find a winner despite late pressure.

The O’s selected an unchanged side with Simpson fit to start after his ankle knock. Captain Mathieu Baudry was also available again after his hip injury as he started on the bench.

Orient created the first chance of the match but Simpson could only head Bradley Pritchard’s cross over the bar.

The hosts opened the scoring after ten minutes when Marquis released Simpson and the striker fired a low shot into the corner of the net.

Marquis was then shown a yellow card for a challenge on Jon Meades.

Wimbledon were struggling to create opportunities and George Francomb had a rare effort which was charged down by Cole Kpekwa.

Chances were few and far between but the hosts should have done better from a free-kick in a dangerous spot as Bradley Pritchard completely miss-kicked the ball.

The visitors put Orient under a bit of pressure just before the break with a deflected strike forcing goalkeeper Alex Cisak to tip the ball over for a corner.

Adebayo Akinfenwa had a chance at the start of the second half but his header flew high and wide.

AFC Wimbledon went close through Francomb when he cut inside in the penalty area but he blasted his effort over the bar.

The hosts made their first change as Baudry was introduced in place of Ollie Palmer.

Orient were reduced to ten men when Marquis was sent off for a second booking after fouling Paul Robinson.

Hendon made a second substitution as he brought on Blair Turgott in place of goalscorer Simpson.

The visitors threatened an equaliser through Barry Fuller but his cross-shot flew just past the far post.

Wimbledon went close through Jake Reeves but his long-range strike flew over Cisak’s upright.

The Dons were denied an equaliser when Meades’ header was turned round the post by Cisak.

But Wimbledon levelled the match in the 80th minute when Akinfenwa headed home at the far post.

The visitors pushed for a late winner and Tom Elliott sent in a header which was saved by Cisak.

There were five minutes of injury time but Wimbledon could not find a winner as the O's held out for a point. 

Leyton Orient: Cisak; Clohessy, Kpekawa, M'Voto, Shaw; Payne, Pritchard, Moore (James, 90); Marquis, Palmer (Baudry, 56), Simpson (Turgott, 75)

Subs not used: Sargeant, Dunne, McAnuff, Kashket

AFC Wimbledon: Wilson; Meades, Osborne, Robinson, Fuller ; Rigg (Azeez, 71), Bulman (Elliott, 81), Reeves. Francomb; Akinfenwa, Taylor

Subs not used: McDonnell, Kennedy, Sweeney, Kaja, Toonga

Referee: Darren Handley

Attendance: 6,024