Leyton Orient got back to winning ways as they beat Stevenage 3-1 in the Southern Group G clash against Stevenage in the EFL Trophy at Brisbane Road.

Two goals from Paul McCallum and one from Sandro Semedo was enough to seal the win after Stevenage were reduced to 10-men as Dean Wells received a straight red.

Fraser Franks scored a consolation goal for the away side but a resilient O’s side remained on top throughout for the three points in the group.

O’s boss Andy Hessenthaler gave Callum Kennedy a chance to shine at left-back as Semedo played in his preferred role in midfield and this will give the 51-year-old some options for their away trip to Morecombe on Saturday.

It was Stevenage who had the first chance of the game as Sam Sargeant had to make an early save in the fourth minute as he held onto a powerful effort from Jake Hyde.

Semedo was quick to try a shot from just outside the box as he worked the ball onto his right foot before his thumping shot was saved by Jamie Jones.

Wells only spent 13 minutes on the pitch after he reduced Stevenage to playing with 10-men for the majority of the match as he elbowed McCallum.

Hyde then had the ball in the back of the O’s net but he was flagged off for offside after being played in by Tom Pett.

Jordan Bowery had two chances in the space of a minute as he beat the Stevenage offside trap but could not get the ball passed Jones.

The former O’s keeper denied the striker once again as he pushed his low effort wide of the bottom far corner.

It seemed to be all one way traffic after the red card but Orient missed a couple of golden chances as Bowery once again headed wide of the post after a slick cross from Nicky Hunt. 

It took 33 minutes for Leyton to break down the resilient Boro defence and Harry Cornick linked up with McCallum before Bowery chests down to the later and he fired home into the left hand side of the net.

The striker then came close to a second after he fired a shot from a Hunt cross just over the bar after captain Robbie Weir worked it out wide to the defender.

Cornick showed exactly why Hessenthaler wanted to sign the winger as in the 40th minute he beat three Stevenage men before his shot went agonisingly wide of the top corner.

Once again two minutes later, Hunt crossed in and it was met by McCallum who could have made it 2-0 after he tried a bicycle kick but it went just over the bar.

Forty seconds after coming on Liam Kelly received a yellow card for dissent after fouling Hyde before Weir wins the ball after a poor lay off from Bowery and drags it wide of the post.

But Orient managed to bag their second in the 54th minute as Callum Kennedy passed the ball onto Cornick and he crosses to the back post as Semedo sent his volley into the net from a tight angle registering his first goal for the club.

Stevenage did managed to pull a goal back four minutes later as Franks headed his second goal in two games after the ball was whipped in from a Harry Cowans free-kick.

McCallum added his second after Bowery quickly found Cornick and he crossed the ball to add to another fine performance from the winger for the strikers second of the night.

Sam Dalby made his debut for the east London club as he replaced Bowery in the 74th minute.

Substitute Josh Koroma worked his way into the box before his shot is blocked by a Stevenage defender and a minute later, the winger curled an effort over the bar.

The early sending off did enough to kill the game and resided Stevenage to a second defeat against the O’s in the same month.

Orient starting XI: Sargeant, Kennedy, Parkes, Weir, McCallum, Atangana, Hunt, Cornick, Bowery, Semedo, Pollock

Stevenage: Jones, Fox, King, Franks, Pett, Hyde, Wells, Lee, Cowans, Henry, Godden