Leyton Orient fought back from 2-0 down to snatch a 2-2 draw at Aldershot Town in the National League this afternoon.

Steve Davis’ side fell behind early on when Cheye Alexander arrowed a fierce strike into the corner of the net.

It got even worse midway through the half when Matt McClure exposed poor defending from James Sendles-White to score the second.

Orient pulled a goal back before half-time after Craig Clay headed home Jobi McAnuff’s free-kick.

Aldershot were punished in the last ten minutes as substitute Romauld Boco fired home to salvage a point and end Orient’s three-game losing run.

The O’s handed a debut to James Brophy after his loan move from Swindon Town and he replaced Josh Koroma. James Dayton returned to the side with David Mooney missing out due to a shoulder injury. Josh Coulson was fit to return to the defence with Daniel Happe dropping to the bench.

Aldershot made a bright start to the contest and were rewarded with the opener after nine minutes. Alexander cut inside and his rasping strike was too powerful for Charlie Grainger as he was unable to keep the shot out.

The Shots were looking a threat from every attack and the hosts went close through McClure but his header bounced the wrong side of the post.

Aldershot doubled their lead in the 20th minute when McClure brushed aside Sendles-White and fired past Grainger.

The hosts almost scored a third goal through James Rowe but his free-kick curled fractionally wide of the target.

Gary Waddock’s side were dominant and only a decent save from Grainger denied Rowe from heading home.

The O’s created their first chance almost 40 minutes into the game after McAnuff’s cross was headed towards goal by Clay but goalkeeper Jake Cole saved the effort.

But the visitors pulled one goal back before the break when McAnuff’s free-kick was headed in at the far post by Clay.

Orient came agonisingly close to an equaliser in injury time when McAnuff’s free-kick bounced off the post and was scrambled to safety.

The start to the second half was a lot more even with Aldershot lacking the sharpness of the first half hour of the match.

The Shots tested Grainger with Adam McDonnell’s strike from distance parried by the O’s shot stopper.

Jim Kellermann tried a speculative attempt but his shot drifted well wide of the target.

Orient made their first substitution with Boco brought on in place of Dayton.

The Shots should have sealed the points in the last 15 minutes but Kellerman headed over from close range after a cross from Alexander.

Orient punished the hosts in the 82nd minute when Boco was released and he tucked the ball into the net after pouncing on a defensive mistake.

There were five minutes of injury time but Orient almost won the game in stoppage time after substitute Happe's header was cleared off the line. 

Aldershot Town: Cole; Alexander, Fowler, Reynolds, Arthur; Kellerman, Oyeleke (Robert, 79), McDonnell, Gallagher; Rowe, McClure (Rendell, 69)

Subs not used:  Okojie, Lyons-Foster, Smith

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Caprice, Sendles-White, Coulson (Happe, 84), Widdowson; Brophy, McAnuff, Clay, Lawless, Dayton (Boco, 72); Bonne

Subs not used: Sargeant, Ochieng, Dalby

Referee: David Rock

Attendance: 3,060 (566 Orient fans)