Leyton Orient picked up a first point in three games but their National League winless run stretched to a seventh match following a 2-2 draw at Barrow.

The long trip to Cumbria saw the O’s twice lead through goals from David Mooney and Craig Clay, but on each occasion they were pegged back before the interval, with neither side able to net a decisive third in the second period.

The draw – a third of the season for Steve Davis’ men – leaves them 17th in the table and an equal six-point distance from both the play-off places and the drop zone.

With Jamie Sendles-White, Joe Widdowson and Mooney comprising the three changes Davis made from the mid-week defeat at Tranmere Rovers, it took the O’s some time to adjust to a new 3-5-2 formation.

But they were to make their first chance count when a fine pass down the left released James Brophy and the Swindon Town loanee delivered a low cross for Mooney to net his third of the campaign and give the visitors a 19th-minute lead.

The lead was to be short-lived though, as Bedsente Gomis broke the offside trap and drilled a shot into the ground and over Charlie Grainger to equalise in the 23rd minute.

It almost got worse for the O’s soon after when Byron Harrison saw a header ruled out for offside, but having survived that let-off Davis’ side were to strike again in the 27th minute.

Barrow were unable to deal with a Jobi McAnuff free-kick and although Joel Dixon twice thwarted the visitors, he was unable to prevent Clay smashing home.

Top scorer Macauley Bonne and Clay were to have further first-half chances while an unmarked Harrison headed wide at the other end. But the hosts were to get back on terms four minutes before the break when Jordan White pounced on a header back across the danger zone.

Mooney missed a good start to restore the O’s advantage soon after the restart when he dragged a shot wide following a one-two with Bonne.

The two front men continued to give the Barrow defence plenty to think about and both strikers were to force Dixon into saves within a short time of each other.

After Myles Judd came on for his first appearance of the season in place of Jake Caprice with 18 minutes remaining, Mooney had another opportunity but saw his effort parried away.

However, Barrow would have been celebrating had Widdowson not denied White with a goalline clearance, while Harrison put a golden chance wide from six yards.

The O’s boss was to make two more changes, with Dan Happe and James Dayton both coming on, while a significant amount of injury time was needed after Mark Ellis suffered a head injury.

But neither side was able to create another scoring opportunity, although the O’s did have a late penalty appeal waved away when Brophy went down in the box.

Leyton Orient: Grainger; Ellis, Sendles-White (Happe 80), Widdowson; Caprice (Judd 72), McAnuff (Dayton 86), Lawless, Clay, Brophy; Mooney, Bonne. Not used: Sargeant, Boco.