Leyton Orient recorded their first win since September 2 as Macauley Bonne’s strike secured them an FA Cup replay win over Dagenham & Redbridge.

The O’s barren run had seen them go eight matches without a win in all competitions, but the victory at Brisbane Road means they can now plan for a first round visit to Gillingham.

Orient weathered heavy pressure late on as they held on for a victory which they will hope can provide a confidence boost in the league.

They return to National League commitments with a home game against Macclesfield Town on Saturday.

Steve Davis used the break from league action to blood a number of youngsters when the sides first met in a goalless draw on Saturday, and once again showed faith in a number of graduates from the club’s academy.

Ten of the 18-man squad were nurtured by the E10 club, with Charley Barker being included in a senior match day for the first time.

Dagenham, meanwhile, were unchanged from the XI which played out a goalless draw when the two sides met three days ago.

The home side settle the far quicker of the two sides and controlled the lions’ share of possession in the opening exchanges, but had little reward to show for their efforts.

It was the Daggers who had the first real chance of the game, though, as a partially cleared cross fell to Morgan Ferrier and he took aim from the centre of the box.

His shot took a wicked deflection, which took the ball over Charlie Grainger, but, mercifully for the Orient keeper, over his bar as well.

The chance stirred Orient into life again and they took the lead with 23 minutes on the clock, when a well-worked move released David Mooney on the right wing.

Mooney was debatably offside, but the linesman’s flag stayed down, allowing him to send a low ball across the six yard box for Bonne to tap in from close range.

Myles Judd enjoyed a productive first half on the left and almost provided the next chance for the O’s with a whipped cross from the left.

The youngster’s ball in found Mooney, but he couldn’t get the ball to settle in time to get a shot off.

Orient almost shot themselves in the foot just before the break as Grainger, who has been criticised in recent weeks, made a hash of a clearance after Jake Caprice’s ill-advised pass back.

The Daggers collected possession and played the ball into Ferrier, who turned smartly in the box before blazing high over the bar.

Dagenham started the second half in flying fashion and had a superb chance to level soon after the restart as Ferrier, a nuisance all night, raced clear on the right and pulled back an intelligent pass.

The low cross found Andre Boucard arriving at the edge of the box and he whipped a shot across goal and just wide of the far post.

Orient responded by going up the other end and almost doubling their lead in fortuitous fashion when Jake Caprice’s mishit cross forced Mark Cousins into a save at full stretch.

The chance signalled the start of a prolonged period of O’s pressure as they created a number of chances from corners, before a moment which incensed the home fans.

Their anger, which came after Mooney was booked for a dive, was misplaced and referee Alan Young’s decision was as brave as it was accurate.

After being put through on goal the Orient number 10 rounded Cousins and flung himself to the floor before the Daggers keeper had made contact.

It was a strange decision from the forward as he would likely have been fouled had he waited for the contact to arrive.

Orient’s failure to make their dominance show was almost punished as the game moved into the final 20 minutes to play when Elliot Roman collected a loose ball on the edge of the box.

He let fly with a fierce drive, but Grainger was equal to it as he threw himself high to his right to make a fine stop and preserved the Orient lead.

John Still’s side were now well on top and substitute Fejiri Okenabirrhie was the next visiting player to go close, drilling a low shot wide from a tight angle on the left.

Mooney’s inauspicious evening continued moments later as he spurned the chance to kill the game after taking a heavy and unnecessary touch when presented with a tap in by Bonne.

Ultimately the Orient skipper's poor finish mattered little as Orient held on for a precious win, which means they can look forward to further cup action on the weekend of November 3.

They were, however, indebted to a superb tackle from Michael Clark which denied a certain goal with almost the last kick of the game.