Macauley Bonne and Bondz N’Gala gave Leyton Orient’s 600-strong travelling support a perfect Christmas gift with a 2-0 win at Maidstone United.

N’Gala struck his first goal for the club with a close-range finish from a corner, in a game where the O’s looked dangerous from set-pieces all afternoon.

They deserved more before the break, but had to wait until seven minutes after the restart to cement a comfortable lead, when Bonne turned and fired beyond Lee Worgan before celebrating with the away support.

The victory was new boss Justin Edinburgh’s first away league win with the E10 club now six points clear of the bottom four, and back within seven of the top half.

Orient carved out the first chance of the game when McAnuff’s free-kick was nodded up in the air, and landed straight on the head of Josh Coulson. 

The Cambridge loanee’s header was a yard or so over and should have been closer, but it was a sign of intent from the visitors.

The first half ended being a game of set-pieces; Clay nodded another into the arms of Lee Worgan, and Bondz N’Gala headed a Dayton corner over, while the opening goal, nine minutes before the interval, came from another flag kick.

From a near identical position to his earlier chance, N’Gala saw his header blocked from Dayton’s delivery, but had all the time in the world to fire beyond Worgan when the ball dropped at his feet.

Maidstone had threatened in fits and starts, largely from set-pieces of their own. Defender Alex Finney headed into the ground and then the arms of Dean Brill from a long ball forward, and the O’s needed Coulson to clear a low delivery away before it could find a man in yellow and black.

David Mooney could have made the O’s lead more comfortable at the break but saw chances come and go either side of N’Gala’s opener.

A Craig Clay cross from the right just evaded his outstretched leg, while another boomeranged away from goal and beyond the far post.

Dayton, who had enjoyed an influential afternoon in Kent, was withdrawn more out of necessity than choice after taking a hefty challenge just after half-time, but the O’s showed no ill effects if they felt them and took a two-goal lead shortly after.

Caprice was given space to look up on the right, but his pass into the box should not have reached its target of Bonne.

He was then allowed to turn by Finney, before firing on his left into the bottom corner - the perfect sight for the 600 travelling O’s positioned just behind the goal.

From then on the visitors had to withstand a fair amount of pressure from the hosts, albeit without Brill being truly tested in the away goal.

They could consider themselves unfortunate not to earn a penalty when Delano Sam-Yorke looked like he had been barged over by Coulson in the box when well-placed.

Maidstone continued to push, particularly down their left side, but the O’s newly resolute defence generally held firm and dealt with everything thrown at them.

The Stones grew increasingly desperate and should have set up a grandstand finish through substitute Aaron Collins, but his first-time effort - from another left-wing delivery - flew over Brill’s bar.

Leyton Orient: Brill; Caprice, N’Gala, Coulson, Widdowson; Dayton (Harrold 50), Lawless, Clay, McAnuff; Bonne, Mooney (Sendles-White 83).

Not used: Grainger, Happe, Koroma.

Maidstone United: Worgan; Nana Twumasi, Wynter, Finney, Anderson; Lewis, Prestedge (Hines 60); Loza, Reason, Sam-Yorke (Collins 76); Piggott.

Not used: Hare, Okuonghae, Wraight.