Leyton Orient’s dreams of playing at Wembley are over, as they were condemned to a 3-2 defeat by Gateshead in their FA Trophy quarter-final replay this evening.

Fresh from scoring the equaliser in the game at Brisbane Road, Richard Peniket popped up eleven minutes from time to secure Gateshead a semi-final spot, in a remarkable tie which had swung back and forth on a number of occasions.

Justin Edinburgh made three changes to the side that lost to Dover Athletic at the weekend. Dan Happe and James Brophy returned to the side in place of Sam Ling and Dan Holman who were both cup tied, while David Mooney replaced Craig Clay, who missed out through illness. The O’s could only name four substitutes, with youngsters Ruel Sotiriou and Charles Clayden both making the bench.

But after conceding a 90th minute equaliser in the first game at Brisbane Road, Orient got off to the worst possible start as they were 2-0 down inside the first quarter of an hour.

Gateshead’s Danny Johnson scored a double against the Orient in the first game and he was up to his old tricks again, putting the home side in front inside two minutes, sliding the ball past Dean Brill after Jordan Preston’s cross.

Scott Barrow then had a shot deflected onto the post for the hosts who were then handed a golden opportunity to double their lead on the 15 minute mark, as they were awarded a penalty after Johnson was upended by Happe inside the area. The striker stepped up and calmly slotted the ball past Dean Brill to double Gateshead’s lead.

After a poor start, Orient slowly started to get back into the game with Brophy and Mooney both going close before the end of the first half, but the O’s could have few complaints at the score-line at half-time.

But Justin Edinburgh’s men were handed a lifeline when they pulled one back just eight minutes after the interval through Brophy, who hammered the ball into the back of the net from distance on the half-volley, after Lamar Reynolds’ initial cross was only partially cleared.

Back down the other end, Johnson went close to increasing Gateshead’s advantage, but his strike went just wide of Brill’s post and that miss proved to be costly, as Orient dramatically got back on level terms with 20 minutes to play.

It was captain for the night Mooney who got the all-important equaliser, rising highest to nod Brophy’s cross back across goal and into the net, reigniting Orient’s dreams of playing at Wembley.

But just nine minutes after getting back on level terms, Orient fell behind again and this time, there was no coming back. Gateshead’s Peniket had already broken the O’s hearts once at Brisbane Road and he did the same again, tapping home Barrow’s cross to send Steve Watson’s men into the FA Trophy semi-finals, where they will face either Bromley or Spennymoor Town.

Gateshead: Montgomery (GK), York (Vassell, 86), Kerr, Byrne ©, Fyfield, Barrow, Penn, Preston (Burrow, 72), McLaughlin, Peniket, Johnson.

Subs (Not used): Hanford (GK), McNall, Greenwood.

Leyton Orient: Brill (GK), Caprice, Coulson, Happe (Sotiriou, 89), Widdowson, Adams, Koroma, Mooney ©, Reynolds (Harrold, 82) Bonne, Brophy.

Subs (Not used): Grainger (GK), Clayden