James Brophy scored one and set up another as Leyton Orient secured a safe passage through to the second round of the FA Trophy with a 4-0 win over plucky Beaconsfield Town.

Further strikes from George Elokobi, Craig Clay and Dale Gorman settled a competitive but sodden first round tie at Brisbane Road.

Orient will now surely have designs on a deep run in the competition having made the quarter-finals last season and will now await the draw for the next round with interest.

Justin Edinburgh made seven changes from the side beaten by Boreham Wood last weekend as Elokobi captained the side on the occasion of his first start since August and Jayden Sweeney made his debut at left-back.

With driving rain and chilly conditions in E10, this was hardly likely to be conducive to free-flowing attacking football.

But the early exchanges saw plenty of the ball for the O’s with Brophy forcing an unconvincing save out of Ravan Constable with a long-range drive that the Beaconsfield goalkeeper could only gather at the second attempt.

The visitors, though, were not here to simply make up the numbers and Orient were given a warning when Elokobi slipped on the greasy surface and nearly presented a one-on-one opportunity for Brendan Matthew.

That near-miss seemed to shake Orient into life and they took the lead on 17 minutes as Elokobi made amends to hook home from close in.

Josh Koroma’s inviting delivery was met by Dan Happe who saw his flick denied by an excellent reflex save from Constable, but his centre-half partner was on hand to fire into the roof of the net.

Orient unsurprisingly had the lion’s share of the play without forcing home their dominance in possession.

Yet Beaconsfield’s approach play was causing a few issues for the O’s and the Southern League Premier South side grew into the game as the half wore on.

With Dean Brill the proverbial spectator, the Rams’ best chance arrived after 32 minutes when Bajram Pashaj’s fine cross from the left found Charlie Losasso who fired narrowly wide via a deflection.

The hosts went close to doubling their advantage following a six-yard scramble on the stroke of half-time, as James Alabi and Matt Harrold jostled for the ball under duress, but it remained 1-0 at the break.

For as long as the O’s advantage remained at one this contest felt precarious, but the impressive Brophy was doing his utmost to give his side a bigger cushion.

The winger robbed left-back Mayowa Balogun after Sam Ling’s inviting feed, cut in on his left foot and drove a dangerous effort that was well blocked by a covering defender.

Orient were upping the ante and Koroma was desperately unlucky to see his fizzing cross strike the far post, although it appeared to take a slight deflection off Jerome Eccleston on the way through.

But the pressure paid off when shortly after the O’s recycled possession from a free-kick and Brophy advanced into the area and blasted a left-footed past Constable to double their lead after 54 minutes.

To their credit, though, resilient Beaconsfield were undeterred by that second setback and Pashaj and Louis Stead fired in teasing crosses that were inches away from finding meaningful contact.

The visitors even introduced former Football League striker Marvin Morgan from the bench in order to force the initiative with a second striker up front, but at 2-0 Orient appeared fully in control of the contest.

Edinburgh’s side might have added a third but Alex Lawless could only fire straight at Constable after Harrold’s excellent cut-back had found him.

Constable then produced an inspired diving save to deny Elokobi a second from Brophy’s in-swinging free-kick.

However, there was no denying a third goal as substitute Ruel Sotiriou found star-man Brophy and his centre was converted by Clay from close range.

Fellow substitute Gorman got in on the act from 25 yards out to make it four, but the scoreline while reflective of the hosts’ superiority was perhaps harsh on a Beaconsfield side who remained competitive throughout.

Leyton Orient: Brill; Ling, Happe, Elokobi, Sweeney; Koroma, Clay (Gorman 79), Lawless, Brophy; Harrold, Alabi (Sotiriou 68) Substitutes not used: Sargeant (GK), Ekpiteta, Bonne.

Referee: Will Finnie.

Attendance: 1,177