Josh Wright rescued a late point for Leyton Orient as his header three minutes into stoppage time secured a thrilling 3-3 draw at home to Port Vale.

The midfielder’s goal completed a brace for him having started the scoring after just four minutes, but Vale quickly turned the game on its head through Scott Burgess and Leon Legge.

Conor Wilkinson’s wonderful strike pulled Orient level again prior to Rob Taylor thinking he had snatched all three points for the visitors late on, but Wright’s goal ensured Ross Embleton’s side stopped a run of two straight defeats in the league.

Dan Happe returned to the starting line-up for the O’s, as did Craig Clay, and there was also a place for teenager Shadrach Ogie of the bench.

Orient got off to the best possible start with just four minutes on the clock. Wilkinson held up the ball on the right before floating a cross into the box, and Wright rose highest to head the O’s into the lead.

Vale were forced into an early substitution on nine minutes as Manny Oyeleke made way for Burgess, and the replacement made a quick impact by levelling the game. David Worrall did well down the right before James Gibbons fired towards Dean Brill. The keeper saved, but Burgess was on hand to score the rebound.

It went from bad to worse for Orient only four minutes later as a ball sent into the box found its way to Legge, and the defender took a touch before smashing home.

After that frantic period, the game settled into more of a tactical pattern, with Gibbons firing high and wide for the visitors while Louis Dennis came much closer for Orient, forcing a wonderful save from Scott Brown from a 30-yard free-kick.

The two sides continued to trade blows at the start of the second half, and Vale thought they had taken a two-goal lead when David Amoo prodded the ball over the line, but he was given offside by the linesman.

Orient took advantage of that decision and made it all square once again on the hour mark, Wilkinson picking up a loose ball on the edge of the area before firing an unstoppable effort past Brown.

Vale managed to ride the waves of pressure following the equaliser and started to control the game once more, coming close as Worrall stretched to meet a cross but couldn’t quite latch on.

The Valiants, though, went one better a couple of minutes later as, in the 85th minute, Jake Taylor cut in from the wing and curled a beautiful effort into the far top corner.

It looked like being yet another late defeat for the home side, but enough character has been displayed by this side in games so far this season and it was on show again as they rescued a point with seconds to go.

Jordan Maguire-Drew sent another pin-point delivery into the box, and Wright was there again to head home the equaliser and secure a point.

The point keeps Orient 21st in the League Two table, but are now level with both Mansfield Town and Oldham Athletic.

Orient team: Brill; Ling, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Happe, Widdowson; Clay, Wright, Marsh; Dennis, Wilkinson

Subs: Gorman, Maguire-Drew, Sargeant, Brophy, Harrold, Ogie, Alabi