A mistake from keeper Jamie Jones proved costly as Orient went down at Yeovil in their opening League One fixture this afternoon.

The young shotstopper dropped the ball to gift the Glovers a goal on the stroke of half-time.

The O's had just equalised through Alex Revell, but they could not repeat the trick after the break.

It meant no happy return to Huish Park for boss Russell Slade.

However, he can take heart from a decent performance. In patches, the O's played some quite good stuff and there was little between the two teams in what was an entertaining opener to the season.

It was a cautious start, however, the hosts creating just a couple of half-chances in the opening ten minutes.

Adam Virgo was not picked up in the box, but his header was well wide.

Dean Bowditch was also allowed to cut inside and hit a shot from the edge of the box that fizzed just past the post.

That should have been a warning to Orient.

On 11 minutes, Bowditch was again not closed down and the midfielder cut inside and hit a curling shot from the angle of the box. The ball beat the outstretched hand of Jones and found the net via the far post. It was a quality strike.

Orient's first chance did not come until the 32nd minute, Revell arriving at the far post to meet a Matthew Spring cross. Revell headed the ball into the ground, but it bounced up awkwardly and keeper John Sullivan did well to tip it over.

That at least gave the O's the lift they needed and Scott McGleish created more panic in the home box minutes later, though his far-post header back across goal did not find a team-mate.

But Orient's pressure brought a reward five minutes before the interval, Revell getting to the near post to head home a Dean Cox cross from the left.

However, the Glovers regained the lead on the stroke of half-time. Jones spilled an Andrew Williams centre and Luke Freeman rolled the ball into a near empty net. It was a terrible mistake from the young shotstopper and came at a time when Orient looked to be in control of the game.

However, the O's picked up from where they left off and almost equalised again at the start of the second half, ex-Glover Terrell Forbes heading a Spring corner against the upright.

At the other end, Sam Williams powered a header well wide, the game really opening up.

With an hour gone, Scott McGleish came agonisingly close for Orient. His shot, following a Stephen Dawson pull-back, was brilliantly saved by Sullivan and then cleared from virtually off the line by Virgo.

The O's continued to press, with Yeovil looking to catch them on the break.

But both teams tired in the latter stages and chances became fewer.

ORIENT: Jones; Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Liddle; Chambers (Smith 71), Spring, Dawson, Cox; McGleish (Tehoue 71), Revell. Subs not used: Butcher (GK), Brown, Jarvis, Porter, Cestor.

Attendance: 4,126.