Leyton Orient’s disappointing start to the League One season continued after a 1-0 home defeat to Tranmere Rovers this afternoon.

The O’s created plenty of chances and looked the more likely winners until Rovers scored against the run of play through David Buchanan’s 30-yard piledriver in the second half.

Tranmere’s goal stunned the O’s and they looked far less effective for the last half hour, as they were unable to avoid their second defeat of the campaign, which leaves them still searching for their first point and goal.

Stephen Dawson overcome his ankle injury and led the side for their first home game of the season against Rovers.

The O’s captain started in midfield in place of Newcastle loanee Michael Richardson who drops to the bench.

Marc Laird and David Mooney were fit to return to action and started on the bench for Orient.

Jamie Cureton returned to the side with Jonathan Tehoue suspended following his red card at Southend in the Carling Cup win.

The hosts got off to a slow start against the side which ended their play-off hopes with a 3-0 win at the Matchroom Stadium at the end of last season.

Orient finally created their first chance of the game after 17 minutes when Jimmy Smith headed Charlie Daniels’ free-kick narrowly past the post.

Cureton forced Owain Fon Williams into action for the first time midway through the half when the veteran striker’s low shot was comfortably saved.

The O’s came the closest to scoring after 30 minutes when Daniels’ free-kick was headed towards goal by Smith but Fon Williams managed to parry the ball.

But Tranmere responded immediately and wasted a glorious chance to take the lead. Giant striker Enoch Showumni laid the ball off and Adam McGurk raced through on goal but fired wide of the target.

Orient again threatened to grab the opener after Cureton broke clear and his cross found strike partner Alex Revell but his volley flew over the target.

Tranmere were fortunate not to concede just before half time when Cureton’s cross was almost diverted into his own net by Mark McChrystal but it went out for a corner.

Cureton combined well with Dawson at the start of the second half but the O’s captain volleyed his effort wide of the visiting goal.

Orient almost made a deserved breakthrough after 52 minutes when Cox lashed a strike from outside the box which stung the hands of Fon Williams.

Tranmere were still an occasional threat on the break and the home supporters were relieved to see a curling effort from Andy Robinson drift past the post.

Another excellent home attack saw Orient denied by the width of a post. Cox set up Cureton and the forward’s shot was brilliantly tipped onto the woodwork by Fon Williams.

Orient were stunned on the hour mark when they fell behind totally against the run of play. Buchanan picked up the ball 30 yards and unleashed a stunning strike which flew into the top corner of the net.

The hosts acted immediately by replacing midfielder Matthew Spring with Mooney as they searched for an equaliser.

The goal really knocked the stuffing out of Orient after they had dominated for so long. But their efforts on goal had dropped significantly after the Tranmere breakthrough.

Orient made their final changes of the match with Richardson and George Porter replacing Smith and Cureton.

Scott Cuthbert had one late chance to equalise but he headed Daniels’ free-kick wide as Orient crashed to their second defeat of the season.

Leyton Orient: Butcher, Omuzusi, Chorley, Cuthbert, Daniels; Cox, Dawson, Spring (Mooney, 64), Smith (Richardson, 80); Cureton (Porter, 80), Revell

Tranmere: Fon Williams; Goodison, McChrystal, Showumni, Welsh; Weir, Robinson (Labadie, 74), McGurk, Buchanan; Raven, Devaney (Akins, 80)

Referee: James Linington

Attendance: 3,658