A young Leyton Orient side were beaten 2-1 at Maidstone United this evening in their last warm-up game before the new season.

The home side got off to an ideal start when Paul Booth headed them in front but the League One side levelled through Afe Obafemi.

Maidstone regained the lead before the break when Nicky Humphrey headed home but the O's had chances in the second half including a missed penalty from Obafemi.

Manager Russell Slade picked an inexperienced side for Orient's final pre-season friendly. Spurs trialist Jon Miles started in goal while former Sheffield United player Jon Ertl started in the centre of defence.

The visitors got off to the worst possible start, on the artificial playing surface, conceding after just three minutes when a cross was headed down and into the net by Booth.

But Orient equalised in the 15th minute with the softest of goals. Humphrey's back pass was hopelessly miscued and teenage striker Obafemi had the easiest of finishes from close range.

Orient were increasingly taking control of the contest and Moses Odubajo had a long-range effort which flew wide of the target.

Goalscorer Booth tried an acrobatic overhead kick but his ambitious effort was deflected off a defender for a corner.

But the hosts did not have to wait long to regain the lead ten minutes before the break. Alex Flisher's cross was superbly headed home by Humphrey.

The O's should have levelled again just before the break but they were guilty of a shocking miss. Elyon Egbeku managed to round goalkeeper Deren Ibrahim but he smashed his effort against the crossbar.

Orient had the first opportunity of the second half but Obafemi's strike was straight at Ibrahim.

Maidstone almost added a third goal but Booth's effort was well saved by the feet of Miles.

Slade's side responded with a header from Harrison Georgiou which really should have found the target.

The O's carved open a decent chance but Egbeku was denied by a brilliant block from Tommy Osborne.

Leyton Orient wasted a glorious chance to equalise from the penalty spot when Obafemi was brought down in the area. But the striker fired his effort past the post to the delight of the Maidstone supporters.

The O's kept up the pressure and Marc Laird was unlucky to see his fierce effort blocked on the line by a defender.

Orient had one late chance to earn a draw but Odubajo's deflected strike cannoned off the post.

Slade's side get their season underway on Tuesday night at Charlton in the Capital One Cup.

Maidstone United: Ibrahim; Osbourne, Mills, Humphrey, Andrews; Olorunda, Phillips, Davisson, Woolery, Booth, Flisher

Leyton Orient: Miles; McSweeney, Ertl, Grace, Foley; Georgiou (Kwartang, 70), Laird, Odubajo, Egbeku (Nash, 70); Obafemi (Wickings, 82), Lobjoit

Referee: D Blunden

Attendance: 1,467