Walthamstow crashed out of the FA Cup after they were beaten 2-0 by Beaconsfield Town on Saturday despite a valiant display at Wadham Lodge.

Second half goals from Louis Stead and Alex Cathline secured the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division side the win, quashing Stow’s hopes of a cup run in the process.

Walthamstow boss Ryan Maxwell handed a debut to Reece Conway on Saturday and his side started strongly, with James Peagram’s attempted lob going inches wide of the post after he capitalised on a poor defensive header.

But Beaconsfield, who sit two divisions higher than Walthamstow, started to turn the screw after that chance and they were denied twice by some excellent defending from the Essex Senior League side, who cleared two efforts off the line.

After losing Jerrome Sobers to injury, things went from bad to worse for Maxwell’s men when Beaconsfield took the lead in the 55th minute when Stead was left with a simple finish from 10-yards after a deflected shot fortuitously made its way into his path.

Ten minutes later and the Rams doubled their advantage through Cathline, who prodded home at the far post.

Walthamstow’s effort couldn’t be faulted but they struggled to get back into the game thanks to some resolute Beaconsfield defending and in the end, the visitors ran out 2-0 winners.

Saturday’s result means that Maxwell’s side have been knocked out of two cup competitions in the space of a week, after Ilford beat Walthamstow 2-0 in the first round of the BBC Essex Senior Cup last Wednesday.

Elsewhere, in the Essex Senior League, Redbridge were held for the third time in four league games after Asher Modeste’s strike secured the Motormen a 1-1 draw with Clapton.

Redbridge got off to the worst possible start when Jeffrey Cobblah put Clapton in front inside a minute, but Modeste popped up with an equaliser just after the half-hour mark to secure a point.

Meanwhile in the Essex Olympian Premier Division, Buckhurst Hill made it four wins from four under boss Mark Williams after they comfortably beat Springfield 3-0.

Steve Townsend continued his strong start to the season by notching a brace, before Steve Sollosi added a third to extend Buckhurst Hill’s unbeaten start.

Billy Cove is off to a winning start as Epping Town manager, as his side began their Senior Division Four campaign in the Essex Olympian League with a comprehensive 5-1 win over Dagenham United.

Liam Clifton opened the scoring early on, before further strikes from captain Chris Lockwood, Alex Paraskeva and Joe Killingback saw Epping head into the break with a 4-0 lead.

Paraskeva then notched his second after the re-start to make it 5-0.

Jack Sawyer pulled one back for Dagenham with half an hour remaining, but it proved to be nothing more than a consolation as Cove got off to a flying start as Epping boss.

Cove said after the game: "The game was won in the first half, going in at half-time 4-0 up was a great feeling and it could very easily have been 10 if it wasn’t for some very poor finishing and their 'keeper pulling off some very good saves.

"The second half saw us take our foot off the pedal a bit and with the strong wind against us we allowed them to get in behind us and we conceded a very soft penalty which they converted.

"It’s not every day you feel disappointed with a 1-5 away win but I feel we should have scored more, and we should have been able to keep a clean sheet. 

"I expect a better all-round performance next week, and I expect us to be more clinical in front of goal."