Waltham Abbey’s promotion push under Mark Stimson gathered further momentum after they secured their fourth league win in a row against Hayes & Yeading United.

Charlie Stimson scored the only goal of the game for the Abbots, as they grinded out a 1-0 win over their opponents thanks to some resolute defending and excellent saves from on loan Leyton Orient goalkeeper Arthur Janata.

The result moves Stimson’s side up to second place in the Bostik South Central League, just three points behind leaders Bracknell Town.

Janata made two decent saves during the first half to keep the scores level at the break, with the on loan Leyton Orient goalkeeper doing particularly well to deny the opposition with a strong stop with his feet at the near post.

Having soaked up a large amount of pressure, Stimson’s side enjoyed their best spell of the game following the re-start and they thought they had taken the lead when Ellis Brown tucked the ball into the back of the net, but the linesman had his flag raised for off-side.

That strike proved to be a sign of things to come, as the Abbots got their noses in front through Stimson with 15 minutes remaining, who brilliantly lobbed the goalkeeper after capitalising on confusion in the Hayes and Yeading defence.

It was then a case of game management for Abbey, who came through the last 15 minutes unscathed to pick up their fourth win on the bounce.

Boss Stimson told the club’s website: "Another 3 points against a very good side in Hayes and Yeading. Our players gave everything they had and defended very well under immense pressure. We scored a decent goal from Chaz and then managed the game well until the final whistle."

Elsewhere, in the Essex Senior League, Ryan Maxwell’s Walthamstow had to settle for a point on the road as Jimmy Cox’s 58th minute strike earnt league leaders Hullbridge Sports a 1-1 draw.

Top scorer James Peagram put Walthamstow ahead deep into first half stoppage time when he netted his eighth of the season after rounding the goalkeeper.

But the league leaders would get back on level terms just 13 minutes after the restart when the unmarked Cox was allowed to head home from close range.

It was Maxwell’s side who came closest to taking all three points though, with Jack Leachman turning over following a scramble from a corner, while Peagram smacked the bar late on.

But Stow had to settle for a point on the road in the end despite having the better chances, in a result which leaves them in fifth place in the table.

That result came just days after Stow progressed to the second round of the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy thanks to a 4-1 win over Sporting Bengal United thanks to goals from Leachman, Craig Pope, Billy Jones and Gebrai Semani.

Meanwhile, Ilford maintained their strong start to the Essex Senior League campaign after they thrashed local rivals Redbridge 4-1 at Oakside.

Jamal Dzotsi put Ilford in front on the half-hour mark to hand them the lead, before Yemi Adelani doubled their advantage four minutes after the re-start.

Yasseir Nazor put Martin Haywood’s side in cruise control moments later, but Sam Belfour pulled one back for the Motormen with ten minutes remaining.

That goal proved to be nothing more than a consolation though, as Adelani notched his second of the game late on to secure a comprehensive 4-1 victory, moving Ilford up to third place.

West Essex were in FA Vase action at the weekend and they showed good character to earn victory against Stotfold in a topsy-turvy cup match at Roker Park.

Cameron Gray’s first half effort handed West Essex a half-time lead, but Stotfold rallied and two quick-fire goals from Dese DeSilva and Salem Amogka put them in control following the re-start.

But just as the game seemed to be getting away from West Essex, Tom Macleod got them back on level-terms in the 77th minute and they would dramatically take the lead once again thanks to Izzy Ogedi-Uzokwe’s strike moments later.

Tom Woodbridge made it four right at the death to guide West Essex into the next round, where they will face Godmanchester Rovers.

In the Essex Olympian League, Buckhurst Hill’s unbeaten start to the season under Mark Williams continued after they claimed a hard fought 1-0 win over Old Southendian.

Sonny Shilling popped up ten minutes from time to convert the winner, in a result which leaves Buckhurst Hill three points clear at the top of the Premier Division table.

Lastly, Epping Town were condemned to their first league defeat under Billy Cove in Senior Division Four, as goals from Drew Rawlinson and Leo Clarke earnt Corinthians a 2-0 win.