Waltham Abbey’s hopes for a cup run are over, as they were dumped out of the FA Trophy by Hastings United following a 3-1 defeat at the Capershotts Stadium on Saturday.

Dajon Golding scored a quick fire brace in the final ten minutes to seal Hastings’ progression to the preliminary round of the competition.

Abbey, who have enjoyed a strong start to their Bostik South Central League campaign under Mark Stimson, were on the back foot early on with on loan Leyton Orient goalkeeper Arthur Janata doing well to tip Daniel Ajakaiye’s effort around the post.

The visitors built on their early momentum and hit the front through Sam Adams in the twelfth minute, who was left with a simple finish from close range following good work from Ajakaiye.

Janata then made two strong saves to deny Kelvin Ogboe and Antonio Walker Barth and they proved to be vital when the Abbey got back on level terms on the stroke of half-time through Daniel Aristidou, who made up for his earlier miss by sliding the ball home at the far post.

Ogboe came close to restoring Hastings’ advantage on two occasions shortly after the break but Abbey would miss a guilt edged chance to take the lead for the first time when Ellis Brown fired wide when under pressure from Emmanuel Mensah.

The Abbott’s would have taken the lead moments later if it weren’t for an excellent stop from Hastings’ Charlie Horlock and that save proved to be crucial as the visitors went straight up the other end and doubled their advantage through Golding.

Ajakaiye was the creator once again, racing into the area before unselfishly squaring for Golding who was left with a tap in and the Hastings attacker would double his tally for the afternoon when he made it three in the 82nd minute by curling a low effort into the bottom corner.

That, in the end, proved to be a decisive blow and Abbey were unable to find a route back into the game with under ten minutes remaining, meaning their FA Trophy hopes are over for another season.

However, Stimson’s men enjoyed better fortunes in mid-week, as they closed the gap to league leaders Bracknell Town thanks to a battling 3-2 win over Hanwell Town.

Brown cancelled out Calum Duffy’s opener for Hanwell when he slotted into an empty net to ensure Abbey went in on level terms at the break.

The Abbott’s fell behind for a second time when Hanwell’s Tom Collins poked home from close range but the visitors’ lead didn’t last for long, as Aristidou slotted past Aaron Bufton having been played in by Ronnie Winn.

Having set up Abbey’s equaliser, Winn would then net the crucial winner with just over 25 minutes remaining, as he sent a low effort into the bottom corner after a free-kick deflected into his path.

Billy Holland almost made it four right at the death when he met Rimmel Daniel’s cross, but Bufton was alive to the danger and pulled off a great save.

That result made it six league wins on the bounce for the Abbott’s and they now only sit behind leaders Bracknell Town on goal difference.