Epping Upper Clapton retained their lead at the top of the table in the London 3 Essex League, as they returned to winning ways with a comfortable victory over Canvey Island.

The league leaders lost their 100% start to the season with a last gasp defeat to Chelmsford last week, but Marcus Tobin’s men ensured there would be no repeat on Saturday, as they ran out 58-3 winners after a dominant display.

Epping would score ten tries in total against their opponents, the first of which came after just three minutes through Reece Reed.

Reed turned provider for Dale Gardener moments later before George Douglas capped off a fine move to hand Epping a commanding 15-0 lead at the break, after all three tries were unconverted.

The second half started just like the first, with Reed notching his second try of the afternoon.

Dan Jones extended Epping’s advantage even further, leaving Canvey’s defence flat footed when he ran the whole length of the pitch to score, before adding further gloss to the score line when he added the extras with his first successful conversion of the afternoon.

With the bonus point now secured, Epping were starting to enjoy themselves and Reed made it a day to remember when he secured his hat-trick mid-way through the second half.

He was swiftly followed over by Gardener and Douglas for their second tries of the game while George Cook would open his account for the season late on.

But Epping added the cherry on top of the cake when the experienced TC Brabant-Rudd finished off a fine move which involved Jones and Joey Mbu to convert the side’s tenth and final try of the day.

Jones would extend Epping’s advantage even further thanks to three successful conversions but their hopes of earning a rare shutout were ended with practically the last kick of the game, when Canvey registered their first points of the afternoon courtesy of a drop goal.

Marcus Tobin’s side will be hoping to replicate that dominant display when they return to league action in two weeks’ time with a trip to Old Cooperians.

Elsewhere, in the London One North Division, Eton Manor recorded their first victory in three games as they convincingly beat Luton 68-26.

Jamie Connors’ side came into the game off the back of two consecutive defeats to Colchester and North Walsham, but they responded in perfect fashion with a dominant win, which leaves them in fourth place in the league.

The Wanstead side will be hoping to close the gap on the top three when they return to league action in two weeks’ time with a home match against Old Priorians.