Ilford exited the Peter Butcher Memorial Trophy at the quarter-final stage on Saturday, defeated on penalties by Barkingside Reserves after a 1-1 draw.

Lamarr Douglass’ early penalty gave Ilford the advantage, but they were pegged back shortly after by Jamie Pooley’s goal before the shoot-out.

The game was barely five minutes old when Collins Atubrah’s shot was handled in the area to give the away side a penalty, and Douglass stepped up to calmly slot high into the net to hand them the lead.

However, Barkingside pulled themselves level in the 23rd minute when the ball was played back to Pooley on the edge of the area and, after taking a touch, he fired into the top corner.

Both sides had opportunities to win the game in normal time, with Atubrah coming the closest for Ilford when he fired wide after a goalmouth scramble from a corner.

The game went to penalties though, and Barkingside took the advantage when they scored their first two, but Ilford saw their second kick saved.

The hosts then netted once more but, after Ilford missed again, they spurned the opportunity to win it when they blazed over.

Barkingside, though, had goalkeeper Frankie Worboyes to thank when he produced his third save in a row to send them through to the semi-finals.

Ilford were, however, victorious in their last Essex Senior League Senior Division outing, a 3-0 win away at Sporting Bengal United last Wednesday.

Billy Golledge gave the visitors the lead after 10 minutes when his downward header from a corner bounced into the top corner, and the lead was doubled by Ellis Lentell on 35 minutes when he blasted into the bottom corner from range.

The away side made sure of the win midway through the second half when a cross came all the way through to Callum Maltese at the far post, and he side-footed into the far corner to make it 3-0.

That win moved them into the top half of the division in 10th, now three points ahead of Stanway Rovers down in 14th.

Back on Saturday, Walthamstow extended their league winning run to six games with a 1-0 win at home to Clapton.

Kieran Bishop netted the only goal of the game on 22 minutes, nipping in between two Clapton defenders after a long ball over the top and he rolled into an empty net.

The away side were awarded a golden opportunity to draw level in the second half when Jaydon Charles hit the deck under a challenge from Nicky Symons, but James Bransgrove guessed correctly to keep the effort, and the rebound, out and preserve the 1-0 lead which Stow held onto.

West Essex also recorded a victory to remain comfortably in mid-table and thus ending Redbridge’s winning run with a 2-0 success.

Samraj Gill netted in first-half stoppage time to break the deadlock and, with 21 minutes of the game remaining, Michael Mignot added a second to make the points safe.

Leyton Athletic continue to struggle at the base of the table but still sit above bottom spot despite a 1-0 loss away at Stanway Rovers.

Scott Kemp hit the only goal of the game after 10 minutes, firing into the top corner from the edge of the area.

Finally, in the Essex Olympian League Senior Division 4, already-promoted Epping Town eased to a 6-0 victory over Old Barkabbeyans.

Despite their dominance throughout the game, the home side went into the break with just the one goal, coming from Daniel Garfinkle.

In the second half, though, Epping turned on the style and saw Glen Warwick hit a hat-trick while Chris Lockwood and Alex Paraskeva also found the net.