Harlow Town’s slide towards Bostik League Premier Division relegation continued on Saturday with a 3-1 loss at play-off contenders Tonbridge Angels.

Former Harlow man Chinedu McKenzie gave Angels the lead after 12 minutes and he doubled his tally after the break, netting the rebound from a penalty.

An own-goal made the game safe for Tonbridge before Matt Foy provided a consolation and something to cheer about for Harlow.

The visitors handed debuts to Josh Urquhart, Chris Gregan and David Mooney, who all went into the starting line-up.

However, they had little effect early on and within 12 minutes, it was an old Harlow face rather than a new one that scored the first goal of the game when Hawks goalkeeper Marcin Brzozowski raced out of his box to head clear, but McKenzie lofted the ball back over his head.

The quick opening to the game died down, with the next chance not being registered until the 25th minute when Reece Price-Placid crossed towards Tom Hitchcock, but the striker could only send his volley over.

Mooney then tried his luck from the edge of the area, but he was also off target.

Despite the fairly level nature of the first half, Tonbridge doubled their lead ten minutes after the break when Tom Derry was brought down by Brzozowski in the box.

The keeper made amends, denying Joe Turner from the spot, but McKenzie was on hand to fire in the rebound, despite Harlow’s appeals for encroachment.

The home side stepped it up a gear in their bid to kill off the game, and it was only the stubborn defending of Harlow that kept them at bay.

Urquhart blocked well from Turner and Alex Read before Rob Howard cleared an effort off the line.

With 10 minutes remaining, though, Tonbridge found a third when Read sent in a low cross from the right which was pushed away by Brzozowski, but it cannoned off Howard into his own net to seal a dismal afternoon.

There was to be one moment of joy though, as Jazz Wallace laid off for Foy to fire home inside the box, but the damage was already done.

The Hawks now only have five games remaining to save their season and now sit four points from safety. Their next game sees them host fellow strugglers Potters Bar Town, with kick-off at 3pm.