A goal in each half saw 10-man Waltham Abbey lose 2-0 at home to Marlow, dropping them down to 10th in the Isthmian League South Central Division.

Kelvin Bossman put Marlow in front and Billy Holland was dismissed for Abbey both inside the opening 10 minutes. The hosts did well to keep the scores down for the rest of the game, but their resistance was broken again late on Kwai Marsh-Brown.

Bossman’s opener set the tone for a disappointing afternoon when he found the net after only four minutes, and Abbey’s misery was compounded shortly after when Holland saw red.

Junior Appiah and Charlie Crowley also went into the referee’s book in the first half as the hosts struggled to keep their discipline.

A nasty injury to Ross Deadman, feared to be a dislocated shoulder, didn’t help Abbey’s cause, and they were finally beaten in the 90th minute when Marsh-Brown added Marlow’s second.

Walthamstow goalkeeper James Bransgrove had an effect at the opposite end of the pitch to usual as he came on to play up front and scored the third goal in their 3-0 Errington Challenge Cup win against Tower Hamlets.

Mohammed Ahmed started the game in goal with Bransgrove on the bench, but the returning keeper had little to do all night as Stow took the lead early on when Bobby Marinov finished off the underside of the bar.

The home side were looking comfortable against their Essex Senior League counterparts and doubled their lead before half-time when Billy Reynolds' cross was scuffed into his own net by a Hamlets defender.

Hamlets made a better start to the second half, but they were finally beaten when Bransgrove rose highest from a corner to head in the third and seal an overall easy win for the hosts.

Stow also moved up to fourth in the Essex Senior League Senior Division on Saturday with a 2-1 win at home to Redbridge.

Dwade James’ ninth-minute penalty, after Callum Ibe had been brought down in the area, put the hosts in front.

Redbridge, though, levelled almost immediately from a penalty of their own, scored by Dan Gilchrist, after James Bransgrove was adjudged to have gone through an attacker when punching the ball clear.

Stow were to prevail though as Billy Jones’ free-kick was flicked into his own net by a Redbridge defender, handing the hosts the points.

However, the Motormen did advance to the next round of the BBC Essex Senior Cup after a 5-3 win on penalties against Saffron Walden Town on Tuesday, having initially drawn 3-3.

Walden raced into a two-goal lead but were pegged back quickly by Taylor Tombides.

The hosts then restored their two-goal cushion, but Redbridge fought back again and took the game to penalties through Tombides' second and Eamon Payne, and the spot-kick success secured a third round tie at home to Barking.

Finally, Epping Town advanced to round three of the Essex Premier Cup after a 3-1 win against Essex & Suffolk Border Football League side Great Bentley.

Bentley took a 1-0 lead into the break but the home side bounced back, advancing courtesy of Jack Jeffries's goal and Daniel Garfinkle's brace.