Lee Valley Lions remain winless in this season’s National Ice Hockey League South 2 Cup following a 10-3 defeat at home to Bristol Pitbulls.

Robert Cole bagged his first goal for the club in the second period to pull it back to 2-1 after Bristol had taken an early lead, but the visitors pulled way ahead afterwards, reaching double figures before a late brace from Jordan Ho narrowed the deficit slightly.

Defeat means the Lions have lost all three of their cup games so far this season, having lost their two matches against Invicta Mustangs prior to this loss, and they are still without a win this season after a poor start to the league campaign too.

The game got off to the worst possible start as Pitbulls notched their first goal after just a minute and a half through Richard Hargreaves, but that didn’t deter the Lions from creating chances and they went close to a leveller through both Charlie Nichols and Joe Miller.

As the period wore on, however, Pitbulls started to come into the game more and they doubled their lead in the 16th minute when Nathan Darmanin fired past debutant netminder Naomi Healey.

Lions started the second period on the powerplay after Daniel Williams went to the box for interference, and they took full advantage when Jordan Sullivan assisted Cole for his first Lions strike.

Jordan Jeffries restored Bristol’s two-goal cushion with a powerplay goal, and while the home side had numerous chances to get back into the game again, they failed to make the most of them and Jamie Newton soon put the game effectively out of their reach.

As has been the case in most of their games this season, the Lions suffered a third-period collapse as Bristol ran riot with six goals in 16 minutes.

Adrian Smith scored twice in that time while Williams, Hargreaves and brothers Zachary and Joshua Dolphin all netted as well.

There was something to cheer about at the end though as Hong Kong international Ho, filling in as a defenceman for the second game in a row, scored twice late on to make it 10-3. Jordan Sullivan was credited with assists on both while Vincenzo Ferrara also got a helper with the latter.

The side are now halfway through their cup campaign for the season, with two fixtures against Haringey Huskies and the return game against Bristol left to play.

Next up for the Lions though is a return to league action this Sunday as they travel to Streatham for a 5.30pm face-off.